SES on again

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 am

You assumed wrong... P0455 is an SAE code for an EVAP gross leak. P1445 is a manufacturer's code for purge volume control valve.
Last edited by smj999smj on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:42 am

smj999smj wrote:You assumed wrong... P0445 is an SAE code for an EVAP gross leak. P1445 is a manufacturer's code for purge volume control valve.
The codes are definitely related. To correct your statement above, he was referring to P0455.

I've been meaning to replace my purge valve for some time. The symptoms are:

1. SES light which throws P1445 or P0455 (or sometimes both).
2. Difficulty topping off the tank when fueling (dependent on temperature).

I tried to do this repair myself last summer, but alas, could not get the bolt (which asgard referred to in his post) to budge using release agents and air tools. I didn't feel like dealing with a broken stud. So I left it. Will hopefully get to it this summer, but we shall see... I have a house to finish! :)

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Post corrected: P0455! Yes, they are related, but a P1455 code refers directly to the purge control valve whereas the P0455 code is a "gross leak" detected, which could be a purge valve...or any other part of the evap system, ie fuel sender "O" seal, gas cap, vent control valve, any of the hoses, etc. A "code reader" is a good tool to have, but one must remember that a code only puts you in the direction of diagnosis; it doesn't necessarily tell you what part to replace. For example, an oxygen sensor code could very well be due to a failed oxygen sensor, but could also be due to excessive low or high fuel pressure, leaking intake gasket, circuit issue, exhaust leak or even a bad ECM. Even a top of the line diagnostic scantool is not worth much if one doesn't follow the procedures to properly diagnose and isolate a problem.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Well that is interesting, the P0 code was that written on the works order, they did replace the valve but which one is anyone's guess.
Well today with a lot of bad grace they fixed the snapped bolt. I am now fully sorted.
They just piss you off when it is there fault and they act all shocked that you would call them on it. I forced them for a free oil change. They said it was all OK as they washed it. Big deal - it was clean when it went in. Last week when they had it and failed to wash it - now that would have been a job.
Black looks great - just not in a Canadian salt storm.
I was told last year on my way to Florida by the Virginia state troopers I met in a restaurant - I would have to get it washed before anyone would steal it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”