I need opinions on computer chips for improved mileage

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rch

I need opinions on computer chips for improved mileage

Postby rch » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm

I have a 2008 4x2 Pathfinder SE and want to improve my miles per gallon. I've looked at numerous chips and also after market electric radiator fans designed to take the load off the engine. I'm conservative in my driving style but still want that extra edge. Has anyone found a chip that they saw real benefits from? Any info on any mods will be greatly appreciated.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 am

I doubt you'd notice much difference. Cars are typically optimized for economy from the factory. That's why there are so many aftermarket intakes exhaust and computer tuners for those wanting to tap into the full power potential of their engines. Just keep driving conservatively and keep up with the maintenance to ensure you have the best mileage.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Most of the so-called "chips" offered are nothing more than resistors designed to trick the ECM by giving it an incorrect reading and most of them do nothing but empty the cash out of your wallet. There are people who have used the Superchips reprogrammer that say they have increased gas mileage by 1-2 mpg as the increased power keeps them from "getting on the gas" as much. The biggest thing that helped improve my gas mileage is that I use the cruise control as much as possible and ease the gas pedal when starting off from a stop. I use regular unleaded in my stock 06 LE 4x4 and went from 16.5 mpg combined avg. when I first got it to about 18-19 mpg, currently. I tried using premium gas for a few tanks, but the gas mileage wasn't affected.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Speaking of gadgets to increase fuel mileage, has anyone seen this little device? There were some on display the last time I was at my local Advance. I can't believe the stuff people try to sell these days. As an engineer I am skeptical by nature but there is no way something like this would actually work. People are so gullable and just want a quick and easy solution for everything.

http://www.fueldoctorusa.com/products/fd-47/

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm

The fuel doctor thing is a scam.coming from an electrician standpoint what they say about emi is true to an extent. But it wouldn't cause a worthwhile improvement to fuel systems.maybe your radio though. Emi is a big problem on military aircraft and if it was as simple as plugging in a gadget into a socket i'm sure we would have figured it out by now.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:37 am

Here is athread I started on the VOLO Performance Chip

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 16e284a2d3

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”