Blue Smoke out of Tailpaipe

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jlwardn

Blue Smoke out of Tailpaipe

Postby jlwardn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 am

I have a Pathfinder that really smokes out the tailpipe. Most of the time is a puffy white but many times it will turn blue and you can clearly smell oil. I sell used cars and have been around over 40 used Pathfinder plus countless new ones. I have never seen this before, At first I thought it was just normal smoke exhaust you see when it is cold out.....it just does not go away. I can start all of the cars around it and after about 5 mins the rest of them have clear exhaust coming out. When driving it....it clearly leaves a trail. I took it to the local Nissan dealership and they have not seen it before. They can only conclude it must be some type of Blow By......they suggested I get a new engine. Oh really....just a new engine.....Why didn't I think of that and do it already.

Any thoughts from you guys?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 am

Just curious, how many mikes you got on it and how many of those were driven by you?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

sounds like the rings are completely gone.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Well after some research I found out what is going on.....
I saw from the Carfax that it was always serviced at a Nissan Dealership. At 89,000 miles it then was offered for sale and then sold at the Auction. I called the Service Departement and asked her to look up to see if any work had been done on the engine. She mentioned that they sold the vehicle to a big Wholesaler who buys most of their high mileage trade ins. She told me that they recommended that the Cats be replaced for about $1,200. The wholesaler declined. He cleared out the check engine light and sold the vehicle at the auction. Since the vehicle was driven with bad cats....the engine sucked in some of the honeycomb dust and it got into the cylinders. Clearly there is damage and now causing lots of oil blow by....so now it not only needs a new engine but cats.......horray. I am not real happy with Nissan right now.........I have given my life for selling new and used nissans and this is how they repay me.......

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

That really sucks. I hate to hear that. I don't guess you're covered by any kind of warranty? Maybe you can locate a good used or rebuilt engine. This is a good example of why its important to replace bad cats. I wish you luck as you try get all this fixed.

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Some guy on here is selling one in the but sell selection

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm

pandarturo88 wrote:Some guy on here is selling one in the but sell selection
:?: typing on your phone again? :wink:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”