What does a ujoint going bad sound like?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

PC05

What does a ujoint going bad sound like?

Postby PC05 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Had tranny and rad replaced last month, started noticing this week when coming down to a stop I can hear something like clicking or tapping under the vehicle but stops when stopped, cant hear it under acceleration but there is a slight vibration at higher speeds. Is this a ujoint or something else? I hate to go back to the %*(#(% dealer again but...

Thanks for help.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Could be. A bad u-joint will have a high frequency vibration (several times the frequency of a tire that's out of balance). If this is the case for you then get under the car and wiggle the driveshaft(s) to narrow down which one is bad. There shouldn't be any lateral play in the joints. I wouldn't go to the dealer for u-joint replacement unless you're still under warranty. U-joints are about $20 each. Another possibility is a bad cv shaft. They tend to make a clicking noise when going bad but usually at slow speeds when turning. Hope you can determine what the problem is.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Exactly what deermjd said. Also, take your pathfinder to a parking lot and make several slow circles in both directions that should help you tell if it's your CV axles.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 am

I'd have a tough time believing a CV joints on the rear of our truck would ever wear out. These wheels don't steer, so unless you've lifted your truck, they are almost never under any strain. FWD cars have the shafts go all the time, but thats because the wheels are turning and the bearings are getting wear every time that happens. A car that lives on the highway may never wear out a CV Joint.

I vote for something interfering with the driveshaft, or a worn u-joint as the OP theorized.

t

PC05

Postby PC05 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 am

Yea it sounds like its coming from the center of the vehicle which would be ujoint area. I will have to get under it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 am

Just a tip, since you are not in the rust belt, its really easy and the only real way to diagnose is to disconnect the driveshaft and rotate the u-joint. My u-joint felt tight, but it was completely shot inside.

t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”