radiator problems or not?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Col R wrote: I am going to have it flushed next week to make sure of the condition.
glad you got the by-pass done OK
when you get the trans flush, do not pressure flush it

Col R

Postby Col R » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 am

I am not familiar with a pressure flush. I planned on having a shop do this. What is it and why should I avoid it?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 am

Col R wrote:I am not familiar with a pressure flush. I planned on having a shop do this. What is it and why should I avoid it?
here is my understanding..........
there seem to be different kinds of flushing procedures
some force a solvent or new fluid through the system under high pressure, whick may break loose debris and particles in the transmission
this debris may find its' way into valves and places where they can cause issues
it's more likely to be a problem with a transmission which has not been serviced regularly over time & miles, as there is more potential for particulate buildup to exist
some transmission flush procedures use a "fliud exchange" method, which uses the transmissions own pump mechanism to circulate the old fluid out and the new fluid in at the same tiime, under normal fluid circulation pressure
IMO, this is the safe way to do it
YMMV
it probably wouldn't hurt to drop the transmission pan and clean the screen and clean out any crud (if any) in the bottom of the pan
also, be sure to use the proper fluid
these transmissions can be sensitive to substitutes

Dispatch8

Postby Dispatch8 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Just did the bypass. I literally took only 25 minutes from start to finish. Piece of mind knowing I wont have the issue is great!

titanmike

Postby titanmike » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 am

I'm about to do the bypass on my wifes pathfinder. Did any of you flush out the remaining trans fluid in the radiator to keep it from mixing with the coolant and getting into the engine if the radiator did spring a leak after the bypass? If so how did you go about it?

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 am

titanmike wrote:I'm about to do the bypass on my wifes pathfinder. Did any of you flush out the remaining trans fluid in the radiator to keep it from mixing with the coolant and getting into the engine if the radiator did spring a leak after the bypass? If so how did you go about it?
There wont be much , but I shot about 25 lbs of air pressure in there to blow out any remaining. I think I saw on here somewhere where Nissan has a spray they us to clean out transmission coolers, but I didnt use any.

Dispatch8

Postby Dispatch8 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 am

Is there any specific transmission fluid brand you guys recommend, or will any matic J work?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:15 am

Matic S from Nissan in the US. In Canada, they still offer Matic J at the dealer. The consensus I've observed on the forum is to stick with dealer fluid for the transmission. Many others like to use aftermarket fluids for diffs and transfer case.

For coolant I use honda blue premix.

titanmike

Postby titanmike » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 am

dawgn86 wrote:
titanmike wrote:I'm about to do the bypass on my wifes pathfinder. Did any of you flush out the remaining trans fluid in the radiator to keep it from mixing with the coolant and getting into the engine if the radiator did spring a leak after the bypass? If so how did you go about it?
There wont be much , but I shot about 25 lbs of air pressure in there to blow out any remaining. I think I saw on here somewhere where Nissan has a spray they us to clean out transmission coolers, but I didnt use any.
Thats what I was planning on doing. Just wanted to see if others did the same.

Col R

Postby Col R » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm

OK, now I am really confused.

Had the trans flushed today and the fluid showed no problem. However, the shop mgr told me he thought the radiator had been replace as it looked new. I have bypassed it as noted earlier.

I get get home and get the part number, 21460 ZL11A.

Google this number and find that some people think this is the replacement radiator and some think this is the original.

Can someone be definitive?

Rick

Col R

Postby Col R » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 pm

My typing is terrible!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”