Slight tick on startup?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

MrMayorDA

Slight tick on startup?

Postby MrMayorDA » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:56 am

It doesn't last very long- when she warms up it all but goes away! Normal? Just don't want anything starving for oil!!

2006 w/78K (ALL highway)

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:12 am

l wouldn't be too concerned if it goes away quickly. What viscosity oil do you use?

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I had that issue started using Lucas oil stabilizer and has stopped since.

08SEME

Postby 08SEME » Sun May 13, 2012 6:51 am

Have you ever heard of or used Seafoam? This will clean your lifters, upper cylinders and injectors. I did it and got much better fuel mileage (20 avg up from 16 avg). I also use Lucas Oil Upper cylinder lubricant which increases fuel mileage by 2-3 mpg. It costs $10 for a 32 oz bottle and I use 3-4 oz each fill up. It averages out to $1.25 extra each fill up.
Josh

bakerbaker

Postby bakerbaker » Wed May 16, 2012 6:54 am

When I used cheap oil filters in the past I could hear it. Or when it's really cold. I use Nissan oil filters and dont hear it anymore.

I owned several pickup trucks with the Z24 engines. And heard the tick at startup too. Untill I stopped using the cheap filters.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 am

Bump.

Bought an 06 that has this problem. If the engine's been shut down for more than and hour or so, it ticks for about 2 seconds on startup. Tried different oil filters and even put a higher viscosity oil in it for a little bit with no luck. Nothing seems to solve this problem.

Anybody have any recommendations? Do all R51's do this, or am I on my way to a very costly repair?

I'm concerned that over time it could cause enough wear to be concerned with. So if there's any possible cause/solution to this problem now, I'd love to hear it.

Only 80,000 on the vehicle.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:34 pm

It hasn’t quite reached the popularity of Lucas, but I use MotorKote hyper-lubricant in all my motors, big & small. Use 2 oz per quart. If you click on “Special Offers” the shipping has been free. Or go to local Walmart.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 am

Not trying to take away from anybody else's experiences, but I'm not a believer in additives and have no intention of ever adding them to my oil, unless I really found one that was backed with good data. I just don't think some magic fluid will solve all my problems.

However, in this circumstance I might believe that a synthetic oil or perhaps the quality of oil I'm using could be a factor. I've tried both Valvoline 5-30 and 10-30 with no change, and have tried two types of oil filters. I've read some one here saw an improvement with a higher end oil filter, so I'm curious exactly which one would be worth trying.

This is my first vehicle with DOHC's, so is this fairly common with this type of engine, and I'm curious if the problem is ignored if I'm going to see any serious wear over time?

Hard to think an engine with 80,000 miles could have a tick already. Especially when it doesn't burn a drop of oil between two 3,000 mile changes.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Lucas is not really an additive. You would put a whole quart in place of a regular quart of oil during an oil change. Look it up. It's good stuff.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:31 pm

jump n fish wrote:Not trying to take away from anybody else's experiences, but I'm not a believer in additives and have no intention of ever adding them to my oil, unless I really found one that was backed with good data. I just don't think some magic fluid will solve all my problems.
All I can do is state some is my personal experiences of the MotorKote product:
I have used a chain saw over 50 yrs (not commercially). Went through many a chain & bar. They now last longer and I adjust the bar about half as often because the bar is less hot. Explain this: Add a little to your 2 cycle gas/oil mixture. Now it idles much faster & you’d better adjust the carb idle so the clutch doesn’t grab, spinning the chain when you set the saw down & hurt someone. As for my PF, shortly after purchase (66K), I had the window down & heard slight motor noises one day. Not sure what, timing chain tensioners??? With the first oil change after purchase, I added MK. Haven’t heard since. Yes, I’m a believer.

On late-nite trucking radio shows they often talk about MK vs. Lucas. MK has a lot of followers, the owner/operators that use motors for a living. Testimonials can be found at motorkote dot com.
Last edited by CPLTECH on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:41 pm

+ one for Lucas oil additive

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”