manual transmission swap...........

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

basemodel

manual transmission swap...........

Postby basemodel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 pm

just wondering if anyone has seen this done on an r51 (north american spec). i'm not going to, just curious if it's been done.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:48 am

doubt it, I've never heard of it. a couple problems, one being where would you get the transmission? #2, you have to install the clutch and hydraulic support system.

Sounds way too involved.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 am

Shouldn't be impossible, I've seen other swaps done (300ZXs especially). If you have a wrecked doner XTerra or Frontier 6-speed to work from it would be a fun project grafting it all over...

basemodel

Postby basemodel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:03 pm

i was thinking frontier. seems like the main structure would be right for supporting everything.
it's not an option for me anyway, because my wife drive ours on the weekends to haul the kiddos, and she is a girl. no interest from her on rowing her own gears.

adymkl

Please help

Postby adymkl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:01 am

Hi guys i'm new here I have a 2005 pathfinder that had fallen victim to the radiator failure taking out my transmission with it and I've decided to convert my truck to a manual Trans its what I prefer anyway my question is does anyone have an idea about how difficult this swap would be I know I can get a manual from an x terra or a frontier also I have seen pathfinders from outside of the us with manuals now I just have to source all the parts and find a shop willing to do the work if anyone can see a major problem with what i'm trying to do please let me know are there any parts that will not be compatible do I have to swap computers and where can I get the non us interior parts like the center console any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:54 am

First of all let me say that I would love to see a manual transmission swap done and I wish you the best should you decide to do so. It seems that there are less and less vehicles equipped with a stick. You can only find one in a Jeep, base model truck, or a sports car nowdays. Very few other vehicles have them. That being said, it would be much much cheaper and easier to just swap in another auto. Swapping transmissions is done all the time in the Jeeping world but the pathfinder has much more parts and electronics to deal with. In addition to the parts you've already mentioned, you'll need clutch and brake pedals, clutch cylinder, driveshaft, neutral safety switch, vehicle speed sensor. Some exhaust work and other fabrcation may be required. I'm not sure if your pedals have the adjustment feature but that's another obstacle to contend with. I'm not trying to discourage you but it's certainly not a task for most. Have you done anything of this magnitude before? If you already have experience working with transmissions and have the tools and knowledge to fabricate and work with vehicle computers and sensors then by all means go for it! If not, then I think you'll be in way over your head.

dared3vil00

Re: Please help

Postby dared3vil00 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:57 am

adymkl wrote:Hi guys i'm new here I have a 2005 pathfinder that had fallen victim to the radiator failure taking out my transmission with it and I've decided to convert my truck to a manual Trans its what I prefer anyway my question is does anyone have an idea about how difficult this swap would be I know I can get a manual from an x terra or a frontier also I have seen pathfinders from outside of the us with manuals now I just have to source all the parts and find a shop willing to do the work if anyone can see a major problem with what i'm trying to do please let me know are there any parts that will not be compatible do I have to swap computers and where can I get the non us interior parts like the center console any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Good luck. You're going to need it.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm

If you havent done big projects on cars or anything mechanical forget about it. These kinds of projects end up being twice as involved as you could plan for. if u do attempt it good luck and keep us posted.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah, I'll be wondering what that PCM is going to be thinking when it doesn't see a automatic transmission? Swapping the PCM will probably be required, which will also mean initializing the keys to it, so you'll need to tow it to a dealer or a locksmith that may have the equipment to do it. Where there's a will and a big wallet there's a way.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”