2006 Nissan PF, leaking transfer case seal

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rannunziato

2006 Nissan PF, leaking transfer case seal

Postby rannunziato » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 am

Nissan PF, SE, 4WD, V-6, 4.0L, Auto., Here's the deal. Leaking transfer case main seal (rear) replaced. Cause was due to stiff/rusted, main drive shaft U-Joints. I guess the strain of the U-joints not working properly was transferred to the seal causing the leak. Mechanic replaced the seal and both u-joints. Found to be leaking approx 1 month later, brought back, replaced again (FOC). Mechainc added gasket sealers and proper lubrication throughout. Also inspected for cracked TC, and was fine, no cracks or compromises. While adding Air Lift kit over weekend I noticed the seal is leaking again. I am going back to the mechanic later today to see if he will honor repair but before I do, what can this guy be missing on install? Did the rusty u-joints cause something to get wacked out of alignment? Is there a trick to the install that this guy is missing. BTW, at the same time as initial repair, I had the rear seal replaced also and that one is not leaking, only the main, front seal.....

Please advise,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Have him make sure the leak is coming from the transfer case's rear seal and NOT from one or more of the three bolts at the rear of the transfer case that surround the area around the seal. There was a TSB (NTB10-047) that addressed the issue of leaks in this area. The bolts are "bearing retainer bolts." Procedure instructs not to remove any of the bolts but to clean the area and re-torque them to 14.5 - 17.3 ft-lb. It also states that if any of the bolts are missing, then replace the transfer case assy.

rannunziato

2006 Nissan PF Leaking Transfer Case seal

Postby rannunziato » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks for the info. I'm almost positive the seal is leaking. My mechanic wants to replace the bushing on the interior of the transfer case. I'm a little Leary of this procedure as I'm not too confident in his ability to perform this task correctly. I'm taking it back to him because he did the 1st and 2nd repairs and I cannot afford to take it to my regular guy as he charges premium $ for services rendered.

The 1st guy (Chris) tells me he is going to get a TC schematic from Nissan to see exactly what is involved. He thinks all he has to do is drain the fluid, pop off the TC cover plate, knock off the bushing and press on a new one.

Chris does own a speed shop and seems capable, but what he lacks is practical the experience in this sort of thing. He said he called a buddy of his who owns a transmission shop and the guy said he was 90% sure that the bushing was causing the problem.

My question is can Chris mess anything up by pulling off the cover, and replacing the bushing? I seem to be at a critical cross road. I am tempted to give it to my regular guy but Chris "owes" me a correct repair.

Please advise....

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”