timing chain repair

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

martyf250

timing chain repair

Postby martyf250 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:30 am

I just made the appt at my dealer. I asked if they will use the updated parts. The service manager said yes. Is there anything I should ask or do to make sure they use the correct updated parts? Have the shoes/ tensioners been replaced and are no longer in circulation type thing

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 am

Not sure if you had a copy of the TSB, here is a link to the ClubFrontier.org website where they put a copy:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/ ... sbs-52945/

Just make sure they follow that, and make sure the PNs match.

t

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:39 am

So I've had the whining noise for about 5k miles now. Yesterday replaced belt and tensioner pully and crossed my fingers when I started her back up. Still whining. So what I'm wondering is how long can I go without taking it in for the repair because I have absolutely zero money for new tires I need first let alone $1500 for this repair. Can I perform the repair myself? Please let me know any options. Thanks

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 am

Fookn4x2 wrote:So I've had the whining noise for about 5k miles now. Yesterday replaced belt and tensioner pully and crossed my fingers when I started her back up. Still whining. So what I'm wondering is how long can I go without taking it in for the repair because I have absolutely zero money for new tires I need first let alone $1500 for this repair. Can I perform the repair myself? Please let me know any options. Thanks
The repair is pretty involved, and you'll need a lot of tools. When I get home I'll try to find the step by step I read a while ago.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:37 pm

I also wouldn't push it too long. If your hearing chain noise, then the chain and the tensioner are wearing metal against metal, which means metal shavings are falling into your engine and that's never a good thing!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:29 am

I recall seeing a step-by-step with pics on this forum about a year or 2 ago. Can't seem to find it now. Anyone else find it?

t

b15son

timing chain repair

Postby b15son » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:10 pm

anyone in southern california that wants to get their timing chain repair done on their 4.0L i charge $450 I can do it in one day and i guarantee my work iv e done hundreds of these repairs in my years with nissan and i can get parts too if you need and if you do not know what to get

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:36 am

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it done but will have to park it and ride my bike until I have enough cash. It gets better gas mileage anyway! Anyone know of a shop in the North Carolina Triad area that can do it cheaper than a the stealership, please let me know.

nikko7mge

Postby nikko7mge » Wed May 02, 2012 9:16 am

Fookn4x2 wrote:I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it done but will have to park it and ride my bike until I have enough cash. It gets better gas mileage anyway! Anyone know of a shop in the North Carolina Triad area that can do it cheaper than a the stealership, please let me know.
I'm in the triad area also and trying to attempt to avoid the dealer cost. I'm going to attempt to do the job myself within a couple of weeks.

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 am

Nikko7mge,

Let me know how it goes. I may end up doing it myself also if not too hard.

Greg__Berger

Postby Greg__Berger » Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 am

Just happened to catch this thread. My '05 path just started whining on acceleration about a month ago. It's continuing to do it pretty consistently - does that fit the symptoms here? What all is involved in the fix?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu May 03, 2012 9:32 am

Greg__Berger wrote:Just happened to catch this thread. My '05 path just started whining on acceleration about a month ago. It's continuing to do it pretty consistently - does that fit the symptoms here? What all is involved in the fix?
Sounds like it. That's the symptom mine had. The repair includes replacement of the secondary timing chains and tensioner shoes. I had mine fixed under warranty but the cost would have been over $1000 if I had to pay out of pocket. It's a fairly involved repair since so much has to be removed to get to the parts.

Greg__Berger

Postby Greg__Berger » Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Damn. I guess I'll have to get it in to the stealership and have them confirm my suspicion. Then maybe I'll call around to a few local shops I've used before to see if anyone will do it for cheaper.

jgtfour92

Postby jgtfour92 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 am

Wussup folks! I just registered today! I have a 2006 Pathfinder with over 114,000 miles on it and I've got the nice whining noise everyone is talking about. I've been driving on it for about 20,000 miles but I was just concerned if I continue to drive with the noise, will it slowly damage the engine? I took it to a dealer and they said $1700 out the door, parts and labor. I took to another mechanic and they said I shouldn't worry about as long as you don't hear the chain making noise. What do you guys think? Am I paying $1700 just to get rid of the whining noise or should I listen to the other mechanic. He said just to drive it as normal. I want a to get a third opinion from you guys. Has anyone ever heard of someone driving with the whining noise with no problems at all? Or am I going to regret getting this maintenance done in the long run and end up paying more? :?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu May 17, 2012 11:02 am

I would say it's not critical that you have this fixed right away but after 20,000 miles it might be time to have it fixed. The whining noise is caused by the tensioner shoes on the secondary timing chains wearing out. My speculation is that eventually it will get to the point where it is possible that the secondary timing chain(s) will become loose and cause the exhaust valves to become out of time with the rest of the engine. Then you will have bent valvles and possible piston damage. If this happens, you will be paying much more than $1700 to fix the engine.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”