timing chain repair

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

as the chain wears through the tensioner shoes, the worn off material will go into your oil
this can't be good for the oil pump or internal engine components

jgtfour92

Postby jgtfour92 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was just hesitant because I had the truck go through it's 100,000 service and the dealer charged me over $1000. I'm just surprised they never mentioned about the whiny noise but I guess they only fix what you ask them to do.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Yikes! Do you have a list of everything that was done? I recently did my own 100k service for about $200 in parts.

jgtfour92

Postby jgtfour92 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 pm

They did a whole bunch of stuff. If you go to the dealership, they have a list of packages depending on how many miles you got on your vehicle. They did the whole fuel injection cleaning process and changed ALL the fluids in the vehicle, the belts etc.etc. I'm pretty sure you can have it done at a cheaper place but I just went to the dealer for once. As for the tensioners and timing chains, I might consider some place else since my warranty is expired on my 06 Pathfinder.

nikko7mge

Postby nikko7mge » Mon May 28, 2012 7:39 am

I just completed my timing chain service. Not too difficult, just very time consuming. The worst part was removing the timing cover. Very difficult to pry apart with all the RTV they use. The ring gear stopper is very necessary (which I'm willing to part with $). I did not remove the valve covers to remove chains/sprockets. With the new tensioner "shoes", I was able to snap them on with my hand, using firm pressure. Taking pictures along the way helps with reassembly. Removing the passenger side fender liner helps with removing the alternator. It'll need a couple of love taps to get it released from it's bracket.

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 am

So I asked for quotes at a nearby "stealership" on how much to fix this issue. The quoted me $2,000 to replace both tensioner and chains. WTF :shock:

My question;
Do you think its wise to have a local automotive repair shop fix this issue? I will supply them the genuine parts and just pay them to do the job.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 am

Depends on how much an independent shop would charge and how well they stand behind their work. I would not take it to any chain shop, and they probably would say they can't do it anyway.

gto65racer

Postby gto65racer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm

What does the "ring gear stopper" look like? Is it a Nissan tool? Is it the only special tool needed for the job?
nikko7mge wrote:I just completed my timing chain service. Not too difficult, just very time consuming. The worst part was removing the timing cover. Very difficult to pry apart with all the RTV they use. The ring gear stopper is very necessary (which I'm willing to part with $). I did not remove the valve covers to remove chains/sprockets. With the new tensioner "shoes", I was able to snap them on with my hand, using firm pressure. Taking pictures along the way helps with reassembly. Removing the passenger side fender liner helps with removing the alternator. It'll need a couple of love taps to get it released from it's bracket.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 pm

The ring gear stopper is Kent-Moore tool #J-48761. You remove the access plate and install the tool to engage the teeth of the ring gear and prevent the engine from turning. This is necessary to loosen and tighten the crank bolt and the cam gear bolts...unless, you use an air impact gun on the crank pulley bolt and remove the intake plenum and valve covers and use a wrench on the flats on the camshafts to torque the cam gear bolts (this is what I did on mine and replaced the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets while there). Here's a link to the tool:

http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moore- ... 71450.html

jgtfour92

Class action lawsuit letter.

Postby jgtfour92 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm

What's up guys. Just letting you know I just received a letter from an attorney about our "whiny" timing chains. It states that if you have a 2005-2010 Frontier or Pathfinder with these issues to give them a call. I guess they're finally hearing our complaints out there and want to find out how many of us owners that own these model years are or have experienced these issues. I just had mine fixed 2 months ago and that thing cost me $1800. If this thing goes through, I want Nissan to refund me in full if this problem is considered a "recall". What do you guys think? Has anyone else received this letter?

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 pm

I have not got a letter like that but if nissan would stand behind this it would be great! I am at 96k miles right now and it is whining and making noise. My stealership quoted something close to that same price with 13 hours of labor required to complete the job.

If you have contact info on who is putting together a potential recall that would be great if you could share. Thanks for the heads up!

jgtfour92

Postby jgtfour92 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 am

$1800 will really hurt the wallet! It took them 2 days to finish everything. I also told them to change the spark plugs since I had over 100,000 miles. I 'll give you the info tonight and hopefully this will help everyone else out there having these issues.

jgtfour92

Postby jgtfour92 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:07 am

Here's the info. They are based in California. Spread the word!

Brandon Leopoldus
888-902-2042
[email protected]

KellyW

New Guy Here

Postby KellyW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 am

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have sold my 2005 pathfinder but prior to sale I ordered all the replacement parts to do the secondary chains as well as a new timing chain (all parts are included new orings new updated tensioner shoes etc. I also have a brand new ring gear stopper. I am looking to sell all this as a package to someone who wishes to do it themselves. Please PM me and I will get back to you.

Thanks

Kelly

Abmobil

Postby Abmobil » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Nikko 7mge, did the new parts you installed look redesigned?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”