Question about exhaust

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rch

Question about exhaust

Postby rch » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Has anyone ever changed their exhaust from the cat back by just having a larger diameter pipe installed? I'm looking for a little better fuel economy. I'm not looking for something any louder than stock. Thanks for any info you guys have. Great forum.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:01 am

Not sure you'll see much improvement in fuel economy by doing this. But I saw recently where someone on this forum replaced his muffler with one from a v8 model. He was looking for a little more power and fule economy without having a loud exhaust. I'm not sure if he using a larger tailpipe as well. You could ask him if he likes the results. Hers' the thread:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ht=muffler

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 pm

I would suggest replacing restrictive OEM y-pipe with custom unit, that is the best thing you can do while keeping things quiet. There is nothing wrong with stock piping size or with stock muffler for that matter, but that cramped y-pipe is the only bottleneck in the system. I put in the V8 Pathy muffler to eliminate the y-pipe altogether and have 2 separate pipes running into the muffler for better flow. The rear section of the exhaust is stock V6 set up. I'm not sue I gained much MPG improvement - my goal was better flow. My oversized tires are killing any potential mpg gain anyways. Your best way to increase mpgs is to keep your tires properly inflated and staying off the gas pedal. Bully Dog works nice for some folks using gas saving mode when driving...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”