How do I know if I have an updated Radiator

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

How do I know if I have an updated Radiator

Postby Clay350 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:39 am

I have searched these threads and can not find a definitive answer to this question. I have an 08 pathfinder v8. I want to make sure I have the updated radiator. Otherwise I want to do the by-pass ASAP. How do I tell if I have a newer style radiator? Or are all of these things prone to failure?

Thanks

Clay

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Clay,

I'm in the same boat. I've been watching the Transmission fail section on this forum. So far I've not seen anyone with an 08 or newer have a failed radiator, or anyone with a V8 for that matter.

Jon

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:35 am

I've not seen an '08 with that problem either. The '08+ have different plumbing for the coolers but I don't know if anything is different internally. I received a notice of the extended warranty though which makes me think there's still a probability that these were not updated. I'm crossing 75k miles and no problems...yet.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 pm

I've heard of a couple of 08 Xterras and Pathys that had the radiator failure. I think they're still in the eye of the Hurricane! Give it another year and we'll see how the 08's fare...

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:23 pm

smj999smj wrote:I've heard of a couple of 08 Xterras and Pathys that had the radiator failure. I think they're still in the eye of the Hurricane! Give it another year and we'll see how the 08's fare...
AFAIK Xterras do not come in V8.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm

I was referring to the V6 models, only. Haven't heard of any issues with the V8's of the 2008 model.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 am

There should be a definitive way to tell if you have the old or updated radiator. I don't want to just go on speculation.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:56 am

The original radiators had part #21400-EA215 on the top of the radiator (both V6 and V8) and the updated replacement radiators have part #21400-9CA25. I had heard they corrected the problem at some point while still running the -EA215 part number, but there's no way to tell which of those number radiators are old design or new design.

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:28 pm

I just went and checked mine. I have number 21460-EA215 with the vehicle build date of 05/07.

I sure hope I have one of the updated Radiators, if that's what they really did.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:02 pm

I have a very late '08 model (Build May 2008...my owners manual actually says 2009). Radiator says 21460-EA215. Whos knows if/when they did the update and when they changed the part numbers though. Nissan has some weird methods to their part numbers. Seems weird it's the same part number as prior models but the inlet/outlet for the tranny cooler is in opposite locations....

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:43 pm

I have an 08 LE with the V8. My Pathfinder was built 07/07. It has the 21460 EA215 radiator.

From what was posted earlier, looks like my radiator is the old version and prone to failure.

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Sun May 13, 2012 9:44 am

Where exactly is this label located?

On the top of mine I don't have that label. I have a model stamped into the plastic itself: PA66-GF30 but that's on top of a plastic part at the top of the radiator.

Would be great to find out and completely eliminate any doubt about my car.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Sun May 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Just complete the bypass and be done with it. its takes all of 20 minutes and you no longer have to worry about anything regarding the radiator spoiling the tranny.

I think the whole concept of running tranny fluid through the bottom of the radiator where could potentially be a mixing of fluids is absolutely stupid. Ruining a 7k tranny to either heat up the tranny fluid or cool it down (I have no idea what their intention was) is dumb.

Do the bypass and be done with it. the tranny has its own cooler and the two feet the fluid running through the radiator isn't going to put you into a critical area.

if you are towing a 40foot boat up mountains every weekend, buy an aux tranny cooler, they are about 20 bucks and install in about 20 minutes too.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 14, 2012 7:48 pm

"I think the whole concept of running tranny fluid through the bottom of the radiator where could potentially be a mixing of fluids is absolutely stupid. Ruining a 7k tranny to either heat up the tranny fluid or cool it down (I have no idea what their intention was) is dumb."

Radiators with internal transmission fluid coolers have been used for decades by practically every automotive manufacturer. Ideally, automatic transmission fluid should be around 175 degrees F. For most vehicles, the radiator internal cooler is perfect for this job and the only reason to have an external cooler is for severe-duty conditions, such as towing. The best setup is to have the fluid run through the external cooler first and then through the radiator's internal cooler. The external cooler will remove a large amount of heat from the fluid, but if the fluid gets too cool, the radiator cooler will warm it to proper operating temperature. If the fluid out of the external cooler is still too hot, the radiator cooler will cool it further. liquid-liquid coolers are far more efficient than liquid-air coolers.

The problem with the Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers of 05-10 is not that the radiator uses an internal cooler for the trans fluid, but that Calsonic made a radiator for Nissan that has had a lot of coolers developing cracks and subsequent issues with coolant being released into the trans cooler line, which takes out the radiator. How many trans cooler failures have you heard of in Maximas or Altimas? Probably none. Titans/Armadas also have radiator problems, but not with the cooler. Their problems involve the bottom tank cracking. These are also made by Calsonic. Some manufacturers (GM comes to mind) even use an internal cooler line in their radiators to cool engine oil, as well.

The biggest problem with this issue is worse than the faulty radiators, themselves; it's that Nissan hasn't stepped-up and recalled the problem-prone radiators despite being aware of it. Sure, they extended the warranty of the radiator to 8 yr./80000 miles, but the majority of the failures are on vehicles that have over 80000 miles but are under 8 years old (Really...what percentage of vehicles are driven 10000 miles a year or less??).

There are a lot of coolers that have the potential for mixing fluids if they fail. For starters, the engine coolant system, itself, can mix fluids if the head gasket fails. Same for oil coolers, like the one used on the VQ engines, if they fail. It's not a common issue, but the potential is always there.

Hermit

Postby Hermit » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 pm

My mom has an 05, (I have an 88, I like to check on stuff in the 2005+ section so I can try and help take care of hers) and when I saw this post, I thought I'd check my mom's radiator out. The part number is 21460-EA265 on hers. What in the world is that about? I did tell her to just ask the dealership if she had the new/better/upgraded radiator the next time she's in. She made a note of it, so I know she'll do so. But, if anyone can shed some light on whether or not that's a "good" radiator part number, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”