Difference between models.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Seth_jxl

Difference between models.

Postby Seth_jxl » Mon May 14, 2012 6:59 am

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster.

It's coming time to buy myself a pathy but i wanted to get an idea of the difference between models. A very attractive part of the pathfinder is the way it controls free spinning wheels via the traction control (from what I understand). Is this feature available on all models?

At the moment I am looking AAPT a 2005 and a 2006 ST L 2.5, is there any reason I should pick the younger of the two?

Thanks in advaance for your help.

Seth.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon May 14, 2012 8:44 am

The question may be best answered at: http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/index.php

We in North America are limited to US production vehicles only. Not sure where yours come from, but we salivate when other parts of the globe can order a diesel or a manual transmission.

The way my 4 WD works is thru the ABS system. Whenever the sensors detect a spinning wheel, the brake is engaged and power then goes to the other side. On a personal note, drove into a ditch with a front wheel having no traction. Put it in reverse and the back tire spun. I wasn’t going anywhere. Thoughts of a tow truck to get out. Put it in 4WD and it backed out smoothly. Worked great.

Please continue to visit this forum.

Seth_jxl

Postby Seth_jxl » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

CPLTECH wrote:The question may be best answered at: http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/index.php

We in North America are limited to US production vehicles only. Not sure where yours come from, but we salivate when other parts of the globe can order a diesel or a manual transmission.

The way my 4 WD works is thru the ABS system. Whenever the sensors detect a spinning wheel, the brake is engaged and power then goes to the other side. On a personal note, drove into a ditch with a front wheel having no traction. Put it in reverse and the back tire spun. I wasn’t going anywhere. Thoughts of a tow truck to get out. Put it in 4WD and it backed out smoothly. Worked great.

Please continue to visit this forum.
Thanks for the quick reply, why would you want a manual transmission? I have the option of both, leaning towards the auto.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 am

Seth_jxl wrote:
why would you want a manual transmission? I have the option of both, leaning towards the auto.
I can't speak for anyone aside from myself, but I feel far more in control with a manual. I personally think it is the best thing ever offroad, and even when driving down steep grades, being able to downshift when I want to, upshift when I want to, etc. One of the problems we have in the US is that almost everything out there has an automatic transmission. Not sure if it's because we are truly a fat & lazy society or not. While the auto on the Pathfinder is fantastic, I would still prefer a manual.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 am

Seth_jxl wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, why would you want a manual transmission? I have the option of both, leaning towards the auto.
Our 5 speed AT is pure slush until the torq converter locks up. I use the aftermarket ScanGauge to monitor MPG and until final gear lock-up, it’s poor mileage. No wonder the city MPG is rated 15.

Also it is suggested not to tow in 5th. Well, our wonderful engineers made it so 4th never locks-up so the trans gets nice and warm when towing and MPG is in the pits. 3rd will lock-up if you want the high RPM’s that go with it.

In the USA, we do have the option of a 6 speed manual in certain models of the Xterra (a shorter version of the PF) or the Frontier truck, both with the same 4.0L motor.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”