Help, just bought 06, clear/amber ATF fluid? WTH?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jump n fish

Help, just bought 06, clear/amber ATF fluid? WTH?

Postby jump n fish » Mon May 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Ok, first off, I'm new to the forum because I just bought an 06 pathfinder LE used with 82,000. Vehicle looks perfect and service records with vehicle already showed fuel sensor and timing chain and tensioner changed.

I had researched this before buying the vehicle, so I planned on doing the radiator bypass on it anyway. I drove a ways to get this vehicle so when I get there I notice you can't check the friggin atf without a socket. My best judgement got the best of me and purchased the vehicle anyway, since the seller had the service records of its last lube and inspection where the tranny fluid was checked by the Nissan dealer in the area and they marked clean and clear. So I figured my odds were pretty good.

So I get home to do the bypass and notice the ATF fluid is a clear/amberish oil. Tranny was smooth as a glass all the way home, but clear ATF fluid.. WTH?? Somebody please ease my mind and tell me that there's an ATF fluid you can put in these thats "not red". Could the dealership that serviced this really be that dumb and put the wrong fluid in this thing?

I know flushes aren't recommended, but whats my best bet at this point. Should I just start draining and refilling every 10 miles or so with the proper fluid till its a good red color? Or is a flush actually an option?

For now the vehicle is parked and I told my wife not to drive another mile on it till I get this resolved.

Wish I would've checked this before I just paid 14,000.

matt4

Postby matt4 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah that's NOT what atf is supposed to look like.If your rad cooler had failed you probally would have the eng and trans light in the dash light up,be sluggish,and the coolant be a strawberry color.Best advice is to take it to a trans shop that specializes in trans flushes and trans filter changes and get it done asap.Dont be afraid to ask as many questions as possible and please let me know what they say.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Mon May 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Haven't found any answers yet, but the previous owner said the nissan dealer flushed the transmission her last servicing right before she put it up for sale. I'm still missing that service record, but she claims she has it and is going to bring it to me.

A friend of mine just bought a 2008 pathfinder from the same dealer she had mine serviced and he just checked his after I asked him and his is also clear/amber color.

Couldn't get a hold of anyone at the dealer because its after hours, but this is a mission I will be taking on in the morning to get some answers. I'm a mechanic for a living (on airplanes, not cars), but I've been working on my own vehicles and friends for a long time, and never have ever seen an ATF fluid that wasn't red. Would really like to know what the heck they put in there if its not ATF.

matt4

Postby matt4 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade and I havent seen any clear or amber looking atf as well.Good luck.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Good news is my buddy's put 3,000 miles on his already with what appears to be the same stuff in it and says its still shifting normally so far. He's parked his for now as well till we find out what the deal is.

Is there any chance that Nissan has approved some sort of synthetic fluid that isn't red? From what I've researched there is only one ATF out there Nissan recommends for these vehicles.

This stuff literally looks like MTF. With my past experiences with dealerships in general, they have some of the worst mechanics working in their depts. Been screwed over so many times by Honda and GM dealerships in multiple states, I can't see how Nissan would be much different. I could very well see one of their lube guys sticking MTF in all the cars. However I've never heard of anybody trying that to know if its even possible a car could go 3,000 miles if that were the case.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 am

Well, checked with the dealership that she claimed did the flush, they pulled it up as having done it in January, but they said the only fluid they ever use for ATF's in any Nissan is red.

They denied any chance of mis-servicing it and basically claimed that she must've had it serviced elsewhere again before she sold it. Riiiiiiight...

Given my friend bought from the same dealer literally the same month as she had this one serviced and has the same problem, I think its a given they screwed up. I guess my only option is a flush at this point in which they want $255 for. Grrrrr..

matt4

Postby matt4 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah sounds like the runaround.I try and avoid dealership mechanics as they are paid flat rate and try to do the jobs as quick and cheap as they can.The little ma and pa shops charge about the same and I have found do a good job and warranty their work for a year just like the dealerships. That money is a little steep but at least you'll have the piece of mind that its done and done right.Good luck.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 pm

In the past I've always looked forward to my vehicles warranties expiring so I can take it to the other local shops. Pretty sad when I'd rather pay for something than have a dealer touch it. Finding a reputable repair shop is gold, but I think in this circumstance I'm going to have the dealer do the flush in case there's any special pressures and such to avoid damaging the transmission, however I'm having a different dealer thats closer to the house do it for $210 instead. I just have a problem paying for that service to the same service center that messed it up in the first place.

matt4

Postby matt4 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 pm

You should get them to do the bypass when they finishing flushing the trans out,shouldnt be much extra.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 am

matt4 wrote:You should get them to do the bypass when they finishing flushing the trans out,shouldnt be much extra.
I've already done the bypass, thats how I discovered the fluid wasn't red.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”