VDC ABS grinching /grinding noise...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

VDC ABS grinching /grinding noise...

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:44 pm

I just did a bit of a long distance offroad oilfield trip and had to do a midday infield about 30K distance location check on wet ice roads, so loaded up in the PF a site geologist and a contract professional driver who handles some really big 50 ton water and vacumn trucks and off we went.

Most of the drive was like pavement but on these bush ice trails every once in awhile the roads take a serious unsigned 90° turn. Haha I can still see both of those fellows turning white and whiteknuckled as we did the VDC/ABS grinch around the first one or two corners. Scared the hell out of them I think, as the VDC/ABS noise when it kicks in sounds like the driver just fawked something up...

I don't completely trust this VDC yet but I came up on those ice corners kind of quick and it stayed between the ditches...what more could you ever want from a truck. :wink:

The trip back to base was uneventful, and the passengers looked fairly relaxed at that point. :)

Last edited by Gray on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm sure I know what you mean. I would imagine it would scare the hell out of passengers hearing that grinding/crunching of the VDC. I'm still not 100% sure of it on pavement, at least city driving. I immediately shut it off when leaving the pavement though, as it will kick in often enough that I don't feel like I have 100% control of the vehicle.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:53 am

Doesn't all the noise come from the ABS? I've had my VDC kick in and I've just lost power but never any noise.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:17 am

blink32 wrote:Doesn't all the noise come from the ABS? I've had my VDC kick in and I've just lost power but never any noise.
Thanks Blink, maybe we have different setups. If I stomp on the brakes on ice I get this really loud grinching 'brakes trying to apply' sound on various corners and the vehicle trys it's best to not go sideways. I always thought that the sound was VDC normal, but maybe not. :|

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 am

I hear you. I'm pretty sure thats the ABS. Sounds like you've got rocks between your pads and rotors right? :)

Someone feel free to correct me but I work under the guise that the VDC attempts to control the vehicle dynamics and traction loss via managing your acceleration. IE: it cuts timing/fuel/etc to make it seem like the throttle is at just off-idle as opposed to mashed to the floor in the burnout box ;).

I've done the same thing as you Brick last winter. Hammered down around a corner and hit both the ABS because I was in 2wd and sliding on the ice while pressing the brakes, and engaged the VDC because the rear wheels lost traction on the ice. Felt like I the path fell flat on its face in power.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:09 am

blink32 wrote:I hear you. I'm pretty sure thats the ABS. Sounds like you've got rocks between your pads and rotors right? :)
Yep, first time I heard that banshee noise on ice I thought WTF... :? As it only happens on ice I've gotten used to the sound, but it spooks the hell out of new passengers... :)

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:44 pm

I understand this is an old thread but still not fully in tune with this abs.. That grinding/ gear sounding noise happens right before my breaks lock up and will happen if I'm trying to have fun with the vdc on also. Can anything be done about this to make it less harsh sounding or feeling?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:53 pm

The noise is the ABS actuator working; the noise is what it is.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:56 pm

smj999smj wrote:The noise is the ABS actuator working; the noise is what it is.
Well at least I can be thankful it's working, I'll stop driving like a jerkoff😌... First decent snow since I have owned it so I had to have a little bit of fun😇

alecsey

Postby alecsey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:19 am

Hello,

It it possible to disconnect / disable ABS actuator on 2006 Path LE and operate vehicle without it?

Also is there abs actuator rebuild kit? Is it possible to repair ABS actuator without replacing this very expensive part entirely?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”