Start up noise

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NoCode

Start up noise

Postby NoCode » Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 pm

I've searched all the terms I can think of that may be relevant to my issue but yet to see anyone with a similar problem. When I start it cold (not cold outside, just anytime - summer or winter) for the first time in the day, there is a strange grinding/, metallic sound under the hood just as it starts as it begins to rev up. Only hear it once and its gone, and I don't hear it any more the rest of the day.

Also to note, I don't drive everyday (not my daily driver) so its usually after its been sitting a few days. If I do drive back to back days I don't usually hear it. I'm guessing it's probably b/c the oil hasn't been flowing for a few days and its a little dry(?), but it worries me that it may cause a problem. Anyone else had this issue or is it normal? Thanks.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu May 31, 2012 2:54 pm

could be either the ABS initializing or your fan clutch.

either is no big deal.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Thu May 31, 2012 5:40 pm

disallow wrote:could be either the ABS initializing or your fan clutch.

either is no big deal.
I know its not the ABS since I can hear that after I put in gear and get moving, this is immediately after start up - must be the fan - thanks.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm

If it is your fan clutch - why it doesn't happen all the time you start it up. If it happens after sitting few days, it could be oil related. I had a similar issue on my othe cars when using cheap oil filters. They Drain the oil back in the sump much quicker than eom or quality aftermarket units. This could also be your culprit.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”