2005 4.0 V6, want to buy a camp trailer...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

StaticFilter

2005 4.0 V6, want to buy a camp trailer...

Postby StaticFilter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I have never looked into towing capacity or had to worry about what I tow since I've always had a capable truck, now our 2005 Pathfinder is our only vehicle to camp with... We are looking to buy a camping trailer, nothing crazy, just a bumper pull from the 1970-80s big enough to have a bathroom, no pop-outs etc. Anyone know what SIZE I need toi limit myself too? I know it's all about weight but will a 22 foot camping trailer be too big for my 4.0L V6? Transmission is brand new and the radiator replaced at some point... It's bone stock, no upgraded suspension or airbags etc... almost 90,000 miles on the engine...

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:32 pm

If most are like what my brother had, are heavy and in no way aerodynamic.
Use NADA to do research on the weight, width, length of the model you might be looking at. Oh, and the price they quote is impossible to find.
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

The PF is generally rated for 5,000#. But the owner’s manual also wants you to figure in the frontal area wind resistance. In a more recent trailer that is not as heavy as you mentioned should not be more than ~22’, otherwise you may have the “tail wagging the dog”. I know the newer, lightweight short ones with bath don’t come cheap.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 pm

You may also want to install a set of Airlift 1000 air bags for the rear suspension. Even if you don't tow, they are a great addition for the R51's rear suspension. You can get them for around $85 from Amazon.com.

StaticFilter

Postby StaticFilter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm

smj999smj wrote:You may also want to install a set of Airlift 1000 air bags for the rear suspension. Even if you don't tow, they are a great addition for the R51's rear suspension. You can get them for around $85 from Amazon.com.
Planning on it, found them for $75.33 shipped here:
http://www.wickedcarparts.com/2012-niss ... eling-kit/

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:57 am

CPLTECH wrote:The PF is generally rated for 5,000#.
The PF is rated at 600lb tongue weight/6000lb vehicle weight.

The Xterra is rated at 500lb tongue weight/5000lb vehicle weight.
CPLTECH wrote:But the owner’s manual also wants you to figure in the frontal area wind resistance.

Correct. The manual states that frontal area should not exceed 64sqft. So thats 8'x8'.
CPLTECH wrote:In a more recent trailer that is not as heavy as you mentioned should not be more than ~22’, otherwise you may have the “tail wagging the dog”. I know the newer, lightweight short ones with bath don’t come cheap.
I would agree that in high winds, more than 24' can become a handful. Its all a question of surface area and wind speed.

ColoradoPath

Postby ColoradoPath » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 am

I pull a 19' camper that weighs ~4500 lbs loaded. (no water). I've got a V8 PF with Airlift 1000 and tow it with an equalizer hitch.

My recommendation is that with a V-6- Go with 18-19ft max unless you are a flat-lander. In Colorado we are always going over a mountain pass somewhere. Definitely get an equalizer hitch, we've pulled in some really strong winds and had very little sway.

Good Luck!

sharris566

Postby sharris566 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 am

I have an 06 with 4.0. I pull a 29 ft. camper that weighs 4800 lbs. dry. I have airlift 1000 bags and Bilsteins on the rear. I also have the 7 pin connector and trailer brake controller installed. I have experienced no problems at all towing this rig. I'm very comfortable with it and the pathy has more than enough power for it. I used to pull this camper with an 02 F150 with the 4.6 V-8. The pathy actually pulls it as well if not better than that truck. The 4.0 V-6 in the pathy has more HP than that 4.6 V-8 although not quite as much torque. The important thing is your hitch set up. I spent a lot of time getting the right set up with my weight distributing hitch and sway control with the pathy. I also regularly pull a 20 ft. pontoon boat to the lake as well as a utility trailer that I use for hauling stuff and of course the occasional trip where I have to load up the whole family and put the 3rd row seat up. The pathy is a hard working vehicle for its size - there's not another one like it on the market in my opinion. My brother in law was camping with us a couple weeks ago and used my pathy to help me pull the boat. He was shocked at how easily the pathy handled it (and he drives an 08 F250 super duty diesel).
Of course, this is just me.. I have a lot of towing experience. If you are new to towing it can be scary - but like anything, the more you tow your rig, the more comfortable you become with it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”