05 Pathfinder will Not Crank

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

wandanier

05 Pathfinder will Not Crank

Postby wandanier » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm

My wives 2005 pathfinder with 124k did not start yesterday morning. Worked fine the day before. When the key is turned I get nothing. The truck will not even try to crank. I have checked all fuses, all grounds, and made sure that the start was in proper working condition. All electrical works in the car and I have tested the battery, all fine. I did have a check engine light on and I believe it was because I need to replace my EVAP vent control but now when I try and pull up the codes all i get now is a U1000 manufactuer code. If any one has any tips please help. I dont want to take it to the dealer.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:18 pm

disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect.

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 pm

I have taken the battery out and have clean the terminals and made sure it is properly charged.

Also has could this be a problem with the neutral safety switch? Any ideas?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 pm

How many miles on it? Its old enough, could be starter solenoid. If you can, find it underneath and tap it with a hammer or othe blunt instrument. Then try to crank.

How many volts is the battery reading with your multimeter?

Terry from Winnipeg, but sitting in a plane in Toronto...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Try the hammer on the starter. Sounds like a "dead spot" on the starter solenoid.

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:49 pm

I did hit it with a hammer while my wife tried to start it and got nothing. Then I took off the starter and took it to autozone to have it tested and it works fine. Also there is power getting to the starter. The truck does have 125k miles on it.

First thing I thought was the battery but all the electrical componts inside the truck are working. I did also jump it just incase with no avail.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Your going to have to diagnose your ignition switch or starter relay. There are factory service manuals posted on this forum that should help.

I'll try to read up on it tomorrow.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 am

U1000 is a CAN (contolled area network) communitcation code. You would need a capable scantool to diagnose that further. I'm wondering if you may have a bad IPDM/ER. You may want to call Nissan to see if there are any outstanding recalls for your Pathy. Here's a description of the starting system:

STARTING SYSTEM

System Description

Power is supplied at all times:

to starter motor terminal 2 and
through 40 A fusible link (letter j, located in the fuse and fusible link box)
to ignition switch terminal B.

With the ignition switch in the START position, power is supplied:

from ignition switch terminal ST
to IPDM E/R terminal 21.

With the ignition switch in the ON or START position, power is supplied to IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribution module engine room) CPU.

With the selector lever in the P or N position, power is supplied:

through A/T assembly terminal 9
to IPDM E/R terminal 48.

Ground is supplied at all times:

to IPDM E/R terminals 38 and 59
from body grounds E9, E15 and E24.

Then the starter relay is turned on.
The IPDM E/R starter relay is energized and power is supplied:

from terminal 19 of the IPDM E/R
to terminal 1 of the starter motor.

The starter motor plunger closes and provides a closed circuit between the battery and the starter motor. The starter motor is grounded to the cylinder block. With power and ground supplied, the starter motor operates.

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 am

I have pull the service manual from here but still have not found what would cause this problem.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 am

SMJ listed all the info that I was going to look for. That's what you need to do.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:50 am

SMJ - would the fusible link be bad?

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 am

It could be. Only way to know would be to check it!

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:18 am

Does anyone know where the neutral safety switch is located? Usually they are on the side of the transmission near the shift lever but I can not seem to find it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:45 am

I believe it's in the shift lever assy. The trans is electronically controlled, so there is no cable going to the side of the trans like older Pathys.

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 am

I believe it has something to do with the neutral safety switch because I got the truck to turn over and run yesterday by running a jumper wire to the starter solenoid and having my buddy start the car while I touch it to the positive terminal.

I then stuck the truck in reverse and had no reverse lights. I took the truck around the block and had lost all low end torque. It seems to be in limp mode and I still had the u1000 code and a new p1065 code but I think the new code was due to me bypassing the ecm to start the truck. All of this leads me to believe that it has to be the neutral safety switch but when looking on the transmission I dont seem to see it???

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”