Need some help, (hint it's not the IPDM)

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dbetterred

Need some help, (hint it's not the IPDM)

Postby dbetterred » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

My 2005 Pathfinder with 94,000 miles is failing me right now.

Here are my symptoms:

1. I am getting the cam position sensor (bank 1) code.
2. I have both SLIP and VDC lights on.
3. the pathy starts very reluctantly, cranks for 4-5 seconds before starting, when cold, much longer when hot (sometimes I'm not sure if it will start)
4. It has shut off on me three times while driving, it restarted (reluctantly)
5. it doesn't seem to be shifting the same, it holds higher gears longer, without downshifting. it will eventually downshift, but it takes a lot of throttle input

Here is what has been done to the truck:

1. Tranny cooler bypassed (years ago)
2. New cam position sensors (both), I did these when I first got the code, a week ago.
3. new IPDM (yep brand spanking new)

So my problem is, what now? The cam position sensors, and the IPDM (which i thought was the problem) didn't do anything to change the problem. What else would give false codes? It kinda seems like a fuel issue, so fuel pump? But a fuel pump wouldn't cause a cam sensor code would it? ECM? ouch. how would I test for this?

Any ideas?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:34 am

I would have the codes checked by a scantool that can access the ABS systems, BCM, etc. I would look for a U1000 CAN communication code. If so, there was a lengthy TSB put out for this concern involving cleaning a number of specific grounds in the engine compartment and behind the dash. You might also want to make sure the charging system is working properly and battery connections are clean and tight.

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:13 am

On the advise of a mechanic friend of a friend (you know how that goes...) I changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It was cheap and easy to eliminate, so I changed it out this morning. No change in symptoms. It was worth a chance.

I will look into the TSB, I won't be able to get it scanned until monday.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it.

The wife just asked at what point we drop it off at Nissan, I hate to do that though.

dbetterred

fixed. oops.

Postby dbetterred » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I think I found the problem. I left a plug loose when I changed out the cam position sensors. One of the plugs wasn't clicked on all the way and was making intermittent contact.

I kinda feel like a dummy. Live and learn I guess.
:oops:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:10 pm

It happens to the best of us! :wink:

Nelson2012

My 2005 Pathfinder is doing the exact same thing... HELP!

Postby Nelson2012 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm

I noticed you said you left a loose plug in the cam position sensors... did this fix your problem? & if so what do you think we should do first? I don't know what to replace to fix it considering their are so many things it could be, what are your thoughts?

Thank You!

Nelson2012

Postby Nelson2012 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Also, the code that is coming up on our pathfinder is PO335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 pm

There have been a lot of problems with crank position and cam position sensors on Nissans going back to 2002. They seem to be made cheaply and their long-term reliability is not the best. You can take a chance and replace the crank position sensor or, if you have the tools and mechanical understanding to do so, download the factory service manual here on the forums and follow the diagnostic procedure for the P0355 trouble code. Considering the failure rate of these sensors, chances are that a bad crank position sensor is your problem.

Nelson2012

Postby Nelson2012 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:53 am

Thank You! We are going to replace the crank position sensor & see where we are.

TommyGun

Postby TommyGun » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:20 pm

My wife's pathfinder died as she was about to make a left hand turn at a stoplight. Scared the heck out of her. The SES light came on along with the SLIP and VDC lights. The car would not restart for a few minutes. Once it restarted she was able to limp it home. I researched the P0355 trouble code and bought a new crank shaft sensor. I had a hard time locating the correct sensor until a few people from this forum helped me out.

Hopefully the following information can help somebody else out.

The best way to reach the crank shaft position sensor on a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is to remove the front passenger side tire. Take off the inner fender well. (some screws and clips, I ended up breaking all the cheap plastic clips...) The sensor is located on the side of the engine block to the left of the metal heat shield. On my car there was a black rubber boot that needed to be pulled back so I could view the sensor. There is one clip that you can push in with your thumb to pull the connector off the sensor. Then get a 10mm socket and remove the bolt and swap your sensor.

Good luck.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”