V8 K&N CAI Install- First Impressions

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ColoradoPath

V8 K&N CAI Install- First Impressions

Postby ColoradoPath » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 am

Just finished up the KN V8 Kit Install-77-6016KS 77 Series. The install wasn't too difficult, my only gripe was that the instructions aren't really clear about which bolts/washers etc, go where. Fortunately, It is pretty hard to mess it up, since the thread sizes clue you in. My kit was missing hose clamps for the small diameter tubes, but other than that very complete. It seems to fit really well and I don't believe there will be much of a gap at the top.

Not much noise while under normal acceleration, but if you get on it, it SNARLS.... It feels slightly quicker, but that's probably due to the KN sticker I installed.

Overall- Good Mod- I'll wait and see about MPG etc.

:twisted:

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am

this is the kid in me talking, but next time you're in an underground parking or closed space, quick rev it and enjoy!

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Could you shoot some video and put it up on Youtube? Would love to hear what that sounds like.

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 am

HAHA! I laughed so hard about the sticker comment!

I just put a K&N filter in my V6 yesterday (just filter, not CAI), and I hope I dont jinx myself by saying this, but it already seems to have both better response and gas mileage. I'm impressed so far...

Zen_master

Re: V8 K&N CAI Install- First Impressions

Postby Zen_master » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

ColoradoPath wrote:Just finished up the KN V8 Kit Install-77-6016KS 77 Series. The install wasn't too difficult, my only gripe was that the instructions aren't really clear about which bolts/washers etc, go where. Fortunately, It is pretty hard to mess it up, since the thread sizes clue you in. My kit was missing hose clamps for the small diameter tubes, but other than that very complete. It seems to fit really well and I don't believe there will be much of a gap at the top.

Not much noise while under normal acceleration, but if you get on it, it SNARLS.... It feels slightly quicker, but that's probably due to the KN sticker I installed.

Overall- Good Mod- I'll wait and see about MPG etc.

:twisted:
Just wondering if you can comment on the MPG difference if any.

Also, does the heat shield box seem fairly snug all the way around or are there copious gaps? I ask because the stock box does appear to attempt to tap outside air via a port into the left front fender sheet metal. It seems logic would lead one to assume that a heat shield that isn't snug all the way around, including against the fender itself, would render the port obsolete.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”