Belt was squealing - jumped off the tensioner

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Belt was squealing - jumped off the tensioner

Postby oreogaborio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:51 pm

As it says, the main belt on my '05 V6 was squealing, mainly between 2k and 3k rpm's but typically only when the engine was warm. I did a quick visual inspection & saw that the flat side of the belt looked a LITTLE worn and brown.

So I went to apply some belt dressing (engine cool) to see if it would cure it on my way into work... while applying the belt started squealing then JUMPED off the tensioner.

Anyone have some mechanical advise? I'm reasonably mechanically inclined but I don't like going into this blind. I'm searching now for a service manual.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Found a good topic. - http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2384

That's gonna help me a bit.

Does the fact that the belt jumped off the tensioner mean there's anything else I have to worry about? There was a small amount of play in the tensioner pully.

Side note: I've had this Pathfinder for about a year and a half & 30k miles with no belt issues prior to this.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Personally, I don't believe in belt dressing. Regardless, there have been known issues with the tensioners and a TSB was released for belt squeek instructing to replace the tensioner and belt. You'll also want to make sure the belt is tracking properly on the new tensioner.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:49 pm

smj999smj wrote:Personally, I don't believe in belt dressing.
Nor do I. I was just using it to confirm that it was the belt that was actually squealing, not a pully bearing or something.
smj999smj wrote:Regardless, there have been known issues with the tensioners and a TSB was released for belt squeek instructing to replace the tensioner and belt. You'll also want to make sure the belt is tracking properly on the new tensioner.
Indeed. Thanks.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:49 pm

My experience:
About 2 yr ago I replaced the belt & tensioner myself with good stuff from a parts dealer that caters to mechanics. After a yr, had some squealing going on from what I thought was in the alternator area. The dealer only put on a new Nissan belt & a Nissan “updated” tensioner. All has been fine since.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Wow. What a cake walk.

Drove to stealership, waited in line, got parts, waited in another line, paid for parts (77.50), drove home, popped hood, pulled off intake, started wrenchin, replaced belt and tensioner, put it all back together, fired it up, tested okay, dropped hood, put a way tools, washed hands.......

Total time start to finish for all of that? 1hr 30min.
Money saved? Probably 300 bucks. BOOYA!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”