towing camper, O/D on or off?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jump n fish

towing camper, O/D on or off?

Postby jump n fish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Did some searching and couldn't really come up with a general concensus. Nothing in the owners manual regarding towing and o/d, so I wanted to get others thoughts.

Just bought an 06 pathy and I'm about to take it on its first camping trip. Will have about 2,500 pounds worth of trailer and another 500 in cargo. I plan on kicking off the o/d once I get into the mountains anyway, but what about just regular around town/interstate driving on normal slopes. Should I kick off the o/d and leave it off anytime I've got a trailer hooked to this thing or is there any harm in leaving it on until I need the power?

Seems like a dumb question, but this is the first automatic tranny I've ever owned. Bummer they don't make these with a manual in the US.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:15 pm

OD off is a general rule for this truck. If you think its locking up good, then you could go OD on, but it will probably end up hunting for gears more than it should.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Cool that helps. I might try out O/D if I'm on flat stretch of interstate.

From what I understand as long as I'm locked, and not hunting gears, there should be no harm in leaving it in O/D in case I want to experiment with it?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am

I would certainly just play it by ear. If it's not shifting around, leave it alone. If it's really 3,000# that's a pretty comfortable number for the PF depending on your wind resistance. I've got an 8x10 enclosed that's pretty slippery and it pulls that very nicely and doesn't downshift much even on some hills.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”