few questions, mainly maintenance

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

zoodragon

few questions, mainly maintenance

Postby zoodragon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 am

well just got a few basic questions

07 pathfinder
v6
92xxx miles

im looking into changing the fluids on it, trans, diffs, tcase

are they all just drain and fill? any tips? ive always used redline for the gear driven stuff and intended to continue to do so unless someone recommends i dont

transmission will get valvoline max life, again unless recommended not to

anything i should know about this vehicle in general? i just saw a ton of info on transmission issues....so ill probably research bypassing the cooler and getting a aftermarket one before i change the trans fluid

its definately getting close to needing new struts but im gonna wait until i need new tires and get the OME lift and some 285s for it and do it all at the same time

any "freebie" mods available on this car?

anything else i should do at this mileage? looks like it might be close to needing spark plugs....i hate doing spark plugs on a vq motor(this car replaced a 03 maxima) and judging by the looks of it, im gonna hate doing plugs on this motor also

thanks for the help! and please....be gentle to the noob

disallow
Site Admin

Re: few questions, mainly maintenance

Postby disallow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 am

zoodragon wrote:are they all just drain and fill? any tips?

Yep, just drain and fill. A hose is handy for the diffs, but you probably know that. Also, be sure to have a bunch of the right crush washers on hand, i get mine at the dealer, cheap enough.

zoodragon wrote:ive always used redline for the gear driven stuff and intended to continue to do so unless someone recommends i dont
Many on this forum use the redline products in the diffs and T-Case with good results. I went with Pennzoil dino on mine.
zoodragon wrote:transmission will get valvoline max life, again unless recommended not to
There is definitely a split on what trans fluid to use in the tranny, I prefer to stick with Nissan Matic-J or Matic-S, but many have had good luck with alternatives as well, usually Valvoline.

The transmission can be drained and filled few times in succession if the fluid is in really bad shape. IE drain and fill, then drive for a while, then do another drain and fill, until you get the fluid to the colour you like. The capacity of the trans is about 17L, and you only drain and fill 4L each time, so do the math....
zoodragon wrote:anything i should know about this vehicle in general? i just saw a ton of info on transmission issues....so ill probably research bypassing the cooler and getting a aftermarket one before i change the trans fluid
We definitely recommend doing the bypass. I did on my 05, and have not added another cooler, the secondary factory cooler seems to be doing fine without extra help. I do a decent amount of towing, too, but admittedly in the flatlands here in Manitoba where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days, so not so much an issue with hills here.
zoodragon wrote:its definately getting close to needing new struts but im gonna wait until i need new tires and get the OME lift and some 285s for it and do it all at the same time
The fronts generally last a long time. My 05 has 200k kms on it, I haven't done them yet, and they are solid. I did my rear shocks at 150k kms, Bilstein 5100s. But if you are going to lift, then you might as well go for it!

zoodragon wrote:anything else i should do at this mileage? looks like it might be close to needing spark plugs....i hate doing spark plugs on a vq motor(this car replaced a 03 maxima) and judging by the looks of it, im gonna hate doing plugs on this motor also
Yep, there are a few posts on this job, general consensus is that you should remove the intake plenum for easier access for #5 and #6. If you have girlie hands, you can probably do these 2 with some wobble extensions and elbows, but I don't so I've done spark plugs #1 thru 4 and left the #5 and #6, meaning to get around to them...

Your Max was Front wheel drive, meaning the engine is transversely mounted. The pathy is easier because its mounted for the RWD functionality, you shouldn't be cursing as much with this vehicle.

What kind of fuel economy did you get with your Max?

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:46 am

Zoo

first thing I would do is the rad/tranny bypass. Did this on my 06 at about 80k miles..very simple, cheap.

went with Royal Purple syn in the rear diff..I have a 2wd. Get the copper crush washers at the dealer.

At 102k now..time to start planning the plugs..I really dont want to take off the intake to do them..hoping to avoid that.

been a good car so far..bought it brand new in 06..aside from a couple of batteries..never given any problems.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 am

For replacing the spark plugs, it's best to just go ahead and remove the intake plenum rather than fight around it. It makes the job go much easier plus you have have a peak at the intake and intake valves. A DIY guide for the spark plugs can be found here:

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=7152

zoodragon

Postby zoodragon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks for the tips guys, yah the maxima was quite annoying to change plugs so when I did I went with iridiums, found out then that the source of my oil consumption issues was a broken valve cover on the rear bank.....which dumped oil into the spark plug hole I'm honestly shocked it ran without a CEL with how long it looked like it leaked.

As far as mpg, if the wife was driving, we got 24, if I was driving, 20 :P
This was on a strict diet of premium gasoline(if we put anything else in it, you would know right away the motor didn't like it, pings, lack if power, etc)

Id buy another though, the v6 with the 6 speed is what convinced me to buy it, def a drivers sedan but with 140k it was starting to need some work like the ever famous crappy Nissan timing guides, a power steering pump and hose, and one day in a cold north dakotan morning(-30 degrees) the resistor for the heater controls went out, and as the wife was the primary driver, it was decreed to find a new car stat and we got the pathfinder and have been happy ever since

Now if I can get this stupid tire light to off, I'd say it has been a great vehicle

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”