08 Transmission Fluid Change Options/Questions...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DMRPHY03

08 Transmission Fluid Change Options/Questions...

Postby DMRPHY03 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm new here so go easy on me :wink: LOVE my new Pathfinder so far though!

Ok, so there are obviously many threads on how to change the fluid and what fluid to use...I'm thinking I'm going to go with Matic-S after calling a few transmission shops around, but I was wondering if I drop the pan on the transmission to clean it out...is there a filter in there to replace or is dropping the pan even necessary? I have had two transmission shops tell me there's a filter in there to be changed, but the Nissan dealer is telling me there isn't! Nissan is recommending a flush as it "cleans" everything out so you dont have a dirty transmission or lines anymore. What do yall think? I've heard flushes are hard on the tranny, but I want to change the fluid soon and I want to do it the best way possible :lol:

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

BTW...did the bypass on mine yesterday (53k miles with dark cherry color - WHEW!) and it was really easy although it was a different process from what's listed on this site I guess because it's an '08. Similar, but my "long hose," as it is popularly referred to as, wasn't long enough to reach the other hose to join join them so I had to buy a longer hose to replace it with. Other than that little kink it was easy as pie!

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 pm

No filter to replace. I'd do dump and fill.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm

It does sound like fan shroud or fan clutch. Can you peek in there and see what is going on? If it is a shroud hitting the fan blades, you will see damage, marks, etc.

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks slavabon! I'm assuming your second post was supposed to go into a different thread...

Any other opinions and/or suggestions???

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:05 pm

I was a Nissan Master Tech until I left them in 2003 and rebuilt a number of Nissan trannies in my 16 years with them, until Nissan reman. units finally made it a rate occurance to rebuild a trans. Nissan transmissions do not use a filter, just a screen. Nissan's thinking is that if there is enough debris in the fluid to clog a filter, then the trans is on the way out and needs an overhaul, not a fluid and filter replacement. Your ATF is synthetic and under normal circumstances, will usually not require frequent servicing. That said, I would still recommend at least a drain and refill every 60000 miles; I do mine every 30000 mi. If by "flushing," we are referring to the fluid exchanging machines currently used by most dealers and many independants, they are not hard on the trans. They incorporate a tank with a bladder system. The machine is filled with about a case of new ATF and the lines are hooked between the radiator cooler fitting and the cooler hose. When the engine is started, the old fluid goes into the tank and pushes against the bladder, which forces new fluid into the cooler line and back to the trans. This system does a much better job at getting most of the fluid replaced. The big key is making sure the correct ATF is used. As far as fluid type, you can't go wrong using genuine Nissan ATF type "S." It is expensive, though. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my 06 LE and my friends 08 SE. I've been using this for over a year in each of them and no problems or differances in performance in either one.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 am

The transmission pan has a drain plug so no need to drop the pan.

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:16 am

deermjd wrote:The transmission pan has a drain plug so no need to drop the pan.
You dont think I should clean the pan out and replace the screen?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:33 am

I wouldn't worry about it. I just do a drain and refill every 30000 miles.

fidelcastrol

Postby fidelcastrol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Could I just drain and refill with Amsoil? or do I need to do a complete flush?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:40 pm

You can drain and refill with Amsoil if you wish; it should be cross-compatable with the Nissan Type "J" or "S" ATF.

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:10 am

Yes, Amsoil is as well as Valvoline MaxLife and some Globals out there; however, I keep hearing great things about amsoil.

Anyone have any input on the 75w90 synthetic gear oil for the diff made by Lucas? I know they are a reputable company when it comes to cleaning injectors and whatnot, I just wasn't sure about the new oil products they are putting out...

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:12 am

smj999smj wrote:I was a Nissan Master Tech until I left them in 2003 and rebuilt a number of Nissan trannies in my 16 years with them, until Nissan reman. units finally made it a rate occurance to rebuild a trans. Nissan transmissions do not use a filter, just a screen. Nissan's thinking is that if there is enough debris in the fluid to clog a filter, then the trans is on the way out and needs an overhaul, not a fluid and filter replacement. Your ATF is synthetic and under normal circumstances, will usually not require frequent servicing. That said, I would still recommend at least a drain and refill every 60000 miles; I do mine every 30000 mi. If by "flushing," we are referring to the fluid exchanging machines currently used by most dealers and many independants, they are not hard on the trans. They incorporate a tank with a bladder system. The machine is filled with about a case of new ATF and the lines are hooked between the radiator cooler fitting and the cooler hose. When the engine is started, the old fluid goes into the tank and pushes against the bladder, which forces new fluid into the cooler line and back to the trans. This system does a much better job at getting most of the fluid replaced. The big key is making sure the correct ATF is used. As far as fluid type, you can't go wrong using genuine Nissan ATF type "S." It is expensive, though. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my 06 LE and my friends 08 SE. I've been using this for over a year in each of them and no problems or differances in performance in either one.
Great information, thanks a lot!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”