Should a dealership replace the timing chain and/or guides?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

Should a dealership replace the timing chain and/or guides?

Postby Cracker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I have a 2005 with 106,000 miles. I called a local mechanic whom I've used before about the whirring/whining sound when the RPMs increase and mentioned that it's most likely the timing chain guides needing replacement. He said they don't do that type of work. Is this deeper engine work than what a typical repair shop does? Is this something best left for the dealership? I hate the dealership but will use them if need be.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Its a job that any competent experienced mechanic should be able to do. It is fairly involved, but we've had guys on this forum DIY this job.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:56 am

I replaced mine myself (I'm a former Nissan tech) and I agree, a competant auto repair should should be able to handle it. What needs to be replaced is the two upper timing chains and the two plastic upper chain tensioner "feet." These parts have been updated. There are also a few seals. Locate the TSB on the job and it will list all of the parts plus the service procedure. There is a special tool that engages the flexplate and locks the crank in place which makes the job easier. I did it without it, but I removed the upper plenum and valve covers (it was due for spark plugs, anyway) and used the flats on the cam to hold them in place while torqueing the cam bolts. With the tool, you don't need to remove the plenum and valve covers. Unfortunately, the tool is very expensive.

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 am

Awesome, thanks. And thanks for letting me know specifically what needs to be replaced and tips on how to do it!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 pm

I should have also mentioned there is a special tool to install the tensioner foot onto the tensioner. Some say they have done it by hand, but I wasn't able to. Instead, I used channel lock pliers with a set of soft grip pads designed for Sears Robo-grip pliers; worked like a charm!

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:52 am

I'm getting a local shop in San Diego to do it. I copied your repair tip and gave them that paper. He was glad to have it, said that "more info is better than less info!". They have the tool and have done this before. The owner was glad that I had the TSB and new what was going on, said it made his work easier. I told them that the online forums have a wealth of knowledge and he agreed. He said the use them too since no one can know all the issues plaguing today's cars. They are doing the work for $576.00. The local Nissan Dealership was looking for $1400 and change. Thanks again for saving Pathfinder owners everywhere!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 pm

If that's parts and labor, I would say that's a very fair price!

Greg__Berger

Postby Greg__Berger » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:52 am

I think I'm up for having this done as well. I had the whining noise start about two or three months ago and it's been getting worse. I need to have it taken care of before a worst case scenario, but the stealership wants a minimum of $70 just to even look at it and give me an estimate.

I had another shop take it for a drive last month and his solution was to do nothing unless it gets worse. Come to find out, he just didn't want to do the work because he couldn't confirm that was the problem and if he went through all of the hours to replace those parts and that didn't fix it, he didn't want to be out of pocket. Understandable I guess.

I've been under the impression that a dealership is going to charge me 1,600 to 1,800 for this repair (if it is indeed the problem). How did you get that low of a price?! Just took in the TSB and the info from this post?

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

My local dealer today tried to tell me it is a 13 hour job and the ballpark price would be $2500. Sounds like a crazy stupid amount of money to fix this problem.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:24 pm

The labor guide rate isn't anywhere near 13 hours! I think the warranty time is only 4.6 hours, so retail labor will be a little more than that. Tell them to show you that 13 hours in the labor guide for timing chain replacement! I would recommend checking some other shops.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Warranty time is the labor time established by the manufacturer to pay a
dealership for repairing their manufacturing defects.
This labor time is not established with the intention for the dealer to make a profit on the warranty repair.
It is considered to be more like a reimbursement for the dealers' expense of doing the repair on their behalf.
To establish a "retail" labor amount to charge a customer for a non-warranty repair, a dealership will typically inflate the warranty flat-rate labor time by some factor.
If they didn't, they would be losing money big-time on customer-pay repairs.
Generally, they will "adjust" the warranty flat rate time by multiplying it by a factor of 1.6 to 1.8 (sometimes more, sometimes less).
This would result in charging a retail customer for somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.8 hours for a job that would pay 4.6 hours on a warranty basis.
On that basis, 13 hours is out & out gouging!
They obviously don't have the skill on hand to do this work efficiently, and as a result, have quoted a price high enough that the job will either "go away", or the customer will have paid so much for the repair that they will make money anyway.

cgray

Postby cgray » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 pm

This 13 hour quote is straight from the Nissan Dealer in my city.

Thanks for the background info on this project, I have already brought this issue up with the corprate customer service an am waiting for feedback from them. Having the knowledge going forward will be helpful.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:52 pm

This should clear it up: standard labor rate per ALLDATA:

Replace timing chain: 8.9 hours. Add 0.4 hours to replace the guides.
(Note: warranty time per the TSB is 4.6 hours)

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:52 am

Sorry, once I got this fixed I hadn't checked back. You guys are right on the money though. The shop in San Diego that did the work underquoted me. The guy did in fact base the quote on the warranty estimate of work not the "reality" estimate of work. I payed $576 when the real price should have been $800 or so, I forget specifically but it was $800 and change. Which is still $600 less than the dealership. He showed me the guides and they were very worn down--one even more so than the other. Also, it took all day plus 3 hours the next morning to get it done so I believe at least 11 hours is reasonable. It's runnin' great now at 108,000 miles!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”