List of the common defects, issues, repairs for 2005+ PF

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

List of the common defects, issues, repairs for 2005+ PF

Postby Cracker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Can we please compile a list of the common defects, issues, repairs for 2005+ Pathfinders? I'm mostly interested in the issues that can affect all (or at least 80%) of North American PFs. I'm aware of the following:
1. Fuel Sending Unit (inaccurate gas gauge). Fix: replace it.
2. Coolant leaking into the transmission fluid. Fix: bypass the radiator.
3. Timing chain tensioners wearing out (Google search "NTB09-128"). Fix: new secondary timing chain and tensioners.

Please reply with additional issues and a BRIEF explanation of the fix or Google keyword search.

Thanks,
--David

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:45 pm

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 am

4. IPDM/ECM Relay (will cause engine to shut off or not start) Fix: replace with new ECM relay

fidelcastrol

Postby fidelcastrol » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 am

POS Catalytic converters going out at 120k mi. and when one goes the other is sure to follow soon afterwards.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 am

Cracked exhaust manifolds, specifically in the V8 version (08+). I'm not certain if they've corrected it for newer models but this is VERY common in the Titan/Armada/QX56 world.

Mine currently has this issue, not sure which side, or if it's both sides, but it seems to be getting worse. I am planning n taking it in for an inspection and hopefully free repair this weekend.

The upside is that Nissan does warranty the exhaust/emissions related (on the exhaust) for 8 years/80k mile.

There are quite a few success stories on TitanTalk of this process going well. I was at a shop last weekend (independent, not Nissan) and the owner was surprised that this wasn't a recall issue since he's seen it often.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:07 pm

nmexMAX,

I have an 08 V8 with 47k miles. Your above post is the first time I've heard about cracked exhaust manifolds on the V8. I do admit, I'm not part of an Armada/Titan forum. How many miles did your V8 have when you discovered the cracked manifolds? Also, did you discover it, or a shop?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Had an issue similar to this on my 98 civic. They sprayed the manifold with a solvent while it was warm, and were able to see the crack before it became apparent by listening to it.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm

I took my pathy into the stealer today and got notified that the tech thinks I am suffering from #3
3. Timing chain tensioners wearing out (Google search "NTB09-128"). Fix: new secondary timing chain and tensioners.

They said that it is about 13 hours of labor to fix with about $1000 worth of parts! Holy crap, has anyone actually had this fixed or are you just dealing with the whine?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 am

volvite wrote:nmexMAX,

I have an 08 V8 with 47k miles. Your above post is the first time I've heard about cracked exhaust manifolds on the V8. I do admit, I'm not part of an Armada/Titan forum. How many miles did your V8 have when you discovered the cracked manifolds? Also, did you discover it, or a shop?
Well, I got this with fairly high miles on it (72k), and if you read my first intro post a long time ago, I mentioned it, though at the time I didn't know what it was or could be.

After some due research on other forums Armada and Titan, I saw it was extremely common.

To answer your question I bought mine with them that way, and the sound has become progressively worse. Although the sound goes away after the vehicle is about warmed up.

Being in the hobby a long time, it's just one of those sounds that you "know".

But, when I had the muffler installed, it was verified by them.

As for the VQ chain tensioners, that's a common problem in 04-07 Maximas.

It's not that difficult of a job in these RWD's, but in a FWD 60º Maxima, plain out nightmare.

Looks as if they're trying to hose you, parts shouldn't be that much. Labor may be. I paid about 750, parts and labor for a timing chain job on a VQ with no CVTC. Had I known then what i know now, I would have tackled it on my own.

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I knew it sounded crazy when they tried to tell me that price.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”