Tranmission Solenoid?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nickCR

Tranmission Solenoid?

Postby nickCR » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 am

On Thursday I took my car in to Nissan (2007 Patherfinder) as the car was shutting off on the road (ECM Relay). So they fixed that and installed the new 4x4 console switch I had bought.

When I left the dealership the switch was working as should (left it in AUTO), just before arriving at my home I noticed the 4WD light was on and the switch was complete unresponsive.

I also noticed that as I would accelerate hard I could hear a bit of whining from the transmission area, this happened both times that I had to accelerate hard.

I took the car back in yesterday. They put it on the computer and noticed the code that indicates that the transmission solenoid is throwing an error. Someone had mentioned in passing that there was a recall, but I have no idea if this is true as I cannot seem to locate any documentation supporting that.

Anyone know if that is true? Alternatively I was told that doing a transmission fluid flush could resolve the problem, not sure if that's true either but figure you guys would have some answers!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 am

what's the condition & level of your transmission fluid?
is your transmission cooler by-passed?
what is the mileage on your truck?

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:43 pm

eieio wrote:what's the condition & level of your transmission fluid?
Condition is good, level is correct (this is what the Nissan tech said)
eieio wrote:is your transmission cooler by-passed?
No.
eieio wrote:what is the mileage on your truck?
I have 88,000KM (about 54500 miles)

I did just speak to them though and now they said that the solenoid doesn't appear to be the problem. They dropped the tranny and are cleaning the channels to ensure there isn't something messed up there. They suspect that the problem is at an electronic level.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 am

I remember some issues on the solenoid packs of the older, R50 Pathfinders, but never heard of one on the R51's.

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

That sucks :(

I just got a call from them and they have confirmed that the problem is one of the electronic components attached to the valve body on the transmission.

Since they don't sell the parts individually I'll need to order the entire valve body.

Does anyone know a good source for the valve body? Someone said they had found the valve body for under $1000 but I can't that price.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:47 am

Did they give you a part #? There are several different valve bodies used in the RE5 auto trannies. Best place for prices for genuine Nissan parts I've found is 1stAAANissanParts.com.

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:34 pm

UPDATE: I went down to the dealership to see the car and see what exactly is going on.

The information provided was well incorrect. The part that is failing is a solenoid on the Transfer Case Valve Body. We looked it up and sure enough Nissan sells those parts by themselves. So that's what I am looking for right now. Will check out all the different sites to see what's the best price I can get on these units.

They will confirm with me tomorrow.

nash_weaver

Postby nash_weaver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Have you tried checking the solenoid of the valve body? I think that’s the real problem there. Try finding nissan genuine parts. They will cost a little more but will assure you years of reliable service. Hope you get your truck done mate.
Last edited by nash_weaver on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:01 pm

I managed to get them locally for a decent price.

I'll be getting them installed but just found out it's gonna be like $500 to pull out the transfer case and replace those two solenoids.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”