2006 Engine gets hot when idling

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rservin77

2006 Engine gets hot when idling

Postby rservin77 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:34 pm

It seems like I have a cooling system problem. Not always, but sometimes when idling the engine temp will rise and get close to a dangerous level. Usually happens when the AC is on but sometimes continues even if we turn the AC off. I checked the reservoir level and it seems to be good but I'm not sure about the radiator level. When I checked the radiator the other day it wasn't filled to the top but it's hard to tell how much fluid is in there because you can't see to far into the radiator. Am I missing something here? Is there another way to see exactly how much fluid is in there?
I know about the radiator warranty extension and my truck is covered since it only has 65K on it. I've read stories of radiators leaking into the tranny...

Any thoughts??

rservin77

Postby rservin77 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Wow. I think the radiator was bone dry or very low on fluid! I must've put almost a whole gallon of coolant in there.
I'll be checking it for leaks over the next few days and weeks for sure. Hopefully that was it and I won't have any more problems with the engine getting hot. :wink:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I had a similar issue on my 05 a few years back. Never did find a leak either, but some places to check would be in your transmission, and your rear heater lines. Added well over a gallon, did a pressurized leak test and found nothing.

As a side note, I've always had really good luck using honda premix antifreeze in my import vehicles. Its coloured blue and is silicate and borate free. I suggest a drain, flush with water, and fill if and when you figure out if you've got a leak somewhere... Good luck!

t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”