Finally! fuel sending unit

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

twinblown

Finally! fuel sending unit

Postby twinblown » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:38 am

So it just happens that my 05 VIN does not fall into the fuel sending unit recall and I have been driving without a properly functioning fuel gauge for the last 70,000 miles (I now have 155,000)and a MIL light on. I called up the dealer spoke to the service manager and even though they can't do it for free they are only going to charge me only $178.00 (labor) to replace it; and while they are at it they will also do the ECM relay recall which I have not had done. If I remember correctly this fuel job is in the $400 range? What do you all think of the price I got? :D

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am

That sounds about right for labor. Probably a 2-hour job. I was quoted about $450 (parts + labor) to replace mine a couple years back. I opted to purchase the parts myself (~$120) and replace it myself. I didn't have many miles on the truck at that time so I just replaced the sending unit and put the original fuel pump back in. But with your mileage I would strongly suggest to have the fuel pump replaced as well while the tank is out.

Also, keep your receipt in case your VIN is recalled later. My VIN was not covered at first but the recall was extended and I was reimbursed. Now that I think about it, the fuel gauge sending unit may have just had the warranty period extended so with 155k miles you would be well beyond it now. I'll check my receipts when I get home if nobody else chimes in by then.

For awhile, Nissan only sold the entire relay assembly (IPDM) but now the ECM relay can be purchased individually for about $3. So if they don't replace it under recall or try to over charge you, just buy the relay and replace it yourself.

pathfinderrider

Postby pathfinderrider » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 pm

just wondering how or where do i check if my vin was recalled?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:06 am

You should have received a letter if it was recalled. At least I did. The best way to find out is to ask a dealer if there are any recalls for your VIN.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 am

important: the fuel level sending unit campaign is a warranty extension, not a recall campaign
more info here: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Fuel-Se ... php?menu=2

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 am

It's now 3 weeks since I had this done and I am happy to have a functioning fuel gauge. I got so use to driving by the mileage that I still reset my trip meter everytime I refuel just to have an idea of the distance traveled vs. the fuel gauge information :D
I went the farthest distance I have ever been on a full tank : 455 miles, needle was practically on "E" and upon refueling it took 20 gallons :shock:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I went on a trip from Utah to Washington to visit my parents. During this trip, my fuel gauge was having issues. The CEL would come on and the fuel gauge would show empty but I know I had more fuel in the tank. Called up my local dealership informing them of my issue and that I see Nissan did a fuel sending unit extension and they looked up my VIN and informed me it should be covered by Nissan if in fact that's the problem. I have an appointment first thing in the morning so I'll report back with the results.

Vehicle info:

08 V8 LE with 65K miles.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Just thought I'd give the end result.

CEL P0463 was found with fuel level sen/circ. They inspected the connectors and harnesses and they were fine. They ended up replacing the fuel gauge an Part number 17342-EA000 and the Gauge assy tank, part number 25060-ZZ00A.

Cost to me $0. All covered under the extend warranty. Now all I need to do is put some miles on the pathfinder and see if it happens again.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”