Second external Trans Oil Cooler.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Rotorian

Second external Trans Oil Cooler.

Postby Rotorian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 am

Hello,

I have decided to add a second trans oil cooler and keep the radiator one bypassed. Has anyone done any specific ones?

I am thinking of going with something like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0331

Thanks for any info you guys may have.

Regards,

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Rotorian

How would you hook it up? Take the return line from the current external and run it into the inflow on the new one?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Second external Trans Oil Cooler.

Postby eieio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Rotorian wrote:Hello,

I have decided to add a second trans oil cooler and keep the radiator one bypassed.
where will you mount it?
won't it restrict air flow through your existing trans cooler and/or radiator if you mount it in front of or in back of either?

Rotorian

Postby Rotorian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 am

dawgn86 wrote:Rotorian

How would you hook it up? Take the return line from the current external and run it into the inflow on the new one?
Yes.
aeiou wrote:
where will you mount it?
won't it restrict air flow through your existing trans cooler and/or radiator if you mount it in front of or in back of either?
Forward of radiator and below the current one? It looks like the way it mounts one would be lining up the fins anyways. If there is that much restriction then the current one already makes the radiator inefficient? I guess they could have designed knowing this, but doubt it.

That is why I am asking if any have done it, how they went about it.

My search for "second external transmission oil cooler", in these forums, returned "0" posts. Perhaps I am not searching correctly?

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 am

I havent't installed a secondary, but thought about it since I bypassed my radiator several months back. I don't tow anything with mine, but there are differences of opinion on here about whether its needed or not.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea. Can it be mounted directly below the factory one? Short hose from original return to new rad cooler inlet and then use existing return line to return line on new cooler?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 am

Rotorian wrote: My search for "second external transmission oil cooler", in these forums, returned "0" posts. Perhaps I am not searching correctly?
here's a link, there are others
found this one by searching "derale"
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=derale

Rotorian

Postby Rotorian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 pm

eieio wrote:
Rotorian wrote: My search for "second external transmission oil cooler", in these forums, returned "0" posts. Perhaps I am not searching correctly?
I see in that thread you had hte same questions back then. Did you ever get around to installing one?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Rotorian wrote:
eieio wrote:
I see in that thread you had hte same questions back then. Did you ever get around to installing one?
nope, never did
if i ever do decide to go beyond the by-pass(es), i'll probably opt for a replacement radiator, rather than a 2nd external cooler

Fische

Postby Fische » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm

I may be confused about the second cooler idea. I have been told that ATF is normally orperating from 180-220F. Engine coolant around 220F. How does the engine coolant "cool" the ATF if it is at a higher temperature. If anything, shouldn't the coolant heat the ATF up (possibly for colder climate weather)? If so, why is a second aftermarket "cooler" needed?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Fische wrote:I may be confused about the second cooler idea. I have been told that ATF is normally orperating from 180-220F. Engine coolant around 220F. How does the engine coolant "cool" the ATF if it is at a higher temperature. If anything, shouldn't the coolant heat the ATF up (possibly for colder climate weather)? If so, why is a second aftermarket "cooler" needed?
weird, like i put in another post just now, i have a bully dog tuner and it's reporting 140-150F normally for trans, and 190F for coolant for my v8. anytime coolant goes above ~193F you can hear the clutched fan engage and it sounds like a mac truck.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm showing same temps as in the post above on a v6 with the bypass.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”