Diagnose this squeak?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Sayantsi

Diagnose this squeak?

Postby Sayantsi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Just noticed this today - the truck has a new squeak of some sort. Here is a short video - you can hear the squeak after I come to a stop and then take off again:

http://flic.kr/p/dniQUa

My Pathfinder is a 2006 LE, 75k mi, and it was a dry, warm, sunny day. It happened with the engine warm and after the truck was hot it eventually went away.

It squeaks a bit at idle, picks up when you gas the engine, and after the engine was hot, you would only hear it when letting of the throttle and the rpm were falling.

Any idea if its a stretched belt, tensioner pulley, or is there another common pulley that might be going?

Thanks,

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25 pm

My guess is serpentine belt. I would call it more of a chatter than a squeak.....does it make any noise when you start it cold?

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks,

Its the +1's vehicle so I only heard it yesterday, she was not aware. I can check how it sounds on cold start up, prob tomorrow, and try spraying the belts with some dressing to see if that helps at all.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Careful with the dressing. I sprayed my serpentine with a little belt dressing and the damn thing jumped the tensioner. :shock: :lol:

Ended up replacing the tensioner and belt myself using parts from the local dealership. Pretty quick & easy job and not too expensive either.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Also tried using belt dressing once and just made it louder!

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:31 am

Well, after I heard it that one day, I have not been able to get it to happen again.

I'm guessing something got up and onto one of the belts, so I'm trying to see if there is any leak, maybe from the water pump, but the car is back to running silent....

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”