Update: Nissan Repaired Timing Chains and Temp Sensor

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dagall

Update: Nissan Repaired Timing Chains and Temp Sensor

Postby dagall » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 am

Reed Nissan, Orlando, called and said the timing chain needs replaced, but my warranty expired in September. Cost is 2400 for the fix. But, the good news is, your Fuel Temp Sensor in the tank is bad also, but that IS covered under. WHAT??? The Path is an 07 with 54000 miles. I have a call into Nissan and waiting to hear back from them. A known issue in the engine is not covered but a sensor in that tank is. Was that a recall? Have read a lot of you guys have had the timing chain repaired by Nissan, just hoping I can get the same.
Last edited by dagall on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm

The tank sensor was recalled; the upper timing chain issue was not. $2400 is a bit high as many have had the job in the $1200-1800 range. You might want to shop around for a better price.

dagall

Postby dagall » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm

I wasn't aware that was a recall, thanks. Got a call back from Nissan and was asked numerous times if this is my first Nissan. They are looking for customer loyalty. I guess if I had a fleet of Nissans this wouldn't be an issue. They are calling back by Friday with their decision.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Fixed Fuel Temp Sensor but not Timing Chain

Postby eieio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am

dagall wrote:Reed Nissan, Orlando, called and said the timing chain needs replaced, but my warranty expired in September. Cost is 2400 for the fix. But, the good news is, your Fuel Temp Sensor in the tank is bad also, but that IS covered under. WHAT??? The Path is an 07 with 54000 miles. I have a call into Nissan and waiting to hear back from them. A known issue in the engine is not covered but a sensor in that tank is. Was that a recall? Have read a lot of you guys have had the timing chain repaired by Nissan, just hoping I can get the same.
are you talking about the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank?
if so, it's covered by an extended warranty campaign with time & mileage limitations
it's not a recall campaign
more info here: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Fuel-Se ... php?menu=3
i'm not aware of any campaign (recall or otherwise) covering a "Fuel Temp Sensor"

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:33 am

There was a recall for the fuel sending units in 2006 & 2008 model year Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers, Campaign ID #PC042, NHTSA #10V-075. Refer Nissan TSB #NTB10-031b. All those vehicles from 2005-2008 that were not included in the recall are covered under the terms of the extended warranty. Refer question #5 in the FAQ's:

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Fuel-Se ... php?menu=4

dagall

Postby dagall » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 pm

They fixed that no problem, just waiting for the call back to tell me they aren't going to do anything for timing chain.

I may do the repair myself, know where I can get the tools?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 pm

The only one you really need is the ring-gear stopper. One can improvise a tool to press the plastic tensioner "feet" onto the tensioner plunger. In my case, I used a set of channel locks with plastic covers (to prevent galling the plastic) that were originally made for Sears Robogrip pliers. You can get a couple of large paper clips and unbend them as substitutes for the tensioner pins.

If you're lucky, you can sometimes find someone who has a used set of tools for sale. I've been looking for a used ring gear stopper, myself, as I have another Pathfinder that's starting to "whine." If you can't get one, you can get one from Techmate or HandsOnTools or anyone that sells Kent-Moore tools:

https://tools.nissantechmate.com/Detail ... =634&cid=2

http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moore- ... 71450.html

dagall

Postby dagall » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am

UPDATE:

Nissan came through and fixed the Pathy. Awesome, sounds and runs like new. Very Happy.

Call Nissan America if you have an issue. Great to deal with and the local dealership even gave me a loaner on both days with no charge.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”