So many issues, where to begin?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bpc2646

So many issues, where to begin?

Postby bpc2646 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm

My sister has been in Germany for 6 months on active duty. She's coming home in a month so I recently talked to her and she asked me to take a look at her car and get it back in shape after sitting for so long. I picked the car up from her house and I noticed the trans was slipping as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. I also noticed a loud rattling sound when stopped, especially on an incline. As if this wasn't enough, I was driving the 30+ mile drive home later on that day and the temp gauge spiked and the "service engine soon" light lit up. I pulled over immediately but the damage was done. The truck spewed a yellowish coolant/oil mix all over the road. So before I talk to her I want to know the details of the massive failure that occurred.

Some details:

Truck: 2008 4.0 V6 S 4x4 131,000 miles.
No idea on regular maintenance, in assume not much since my sister has had a few cars fail on her due to preventable issues.
She has had the truck since '08 with 14k miles. It was a factory demo car.

Anyway, I did some recon and read topics on the radiator-trans issue and I am guessing that played a role in the head-gasket failure, but I saw that it's mostly on the older models. I also read a topic on death rattle (?) and I think that might be what I heard when stopped before the BIG issue. I know this isn't good news for the car, but she needs it back when she is home to haul around the 3 kids. I want this thing to be fixed and fixed right, so I turned to the forums to get more knowledge on the issues and to seek insight from the folks on here who have more know-how than I do. The truck was towed today to the mechanic and I'd like to talk to him in more detail about what to fix and troubleshoot. So any and all info would be appreciated and ask any questions. I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. Thanks in advance.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:11 am

Could you see where the oil/coolant was coming from? Or was it so much that it was hard to pinpoint the source? As you know the transmission cooler located in the bottom of the radiator is prone to leaking and coolant entering the transmission lines and ultimately killing the transmission. This is an internal leak and normally by the time it is detected it is too late and the damage is already done. Have you confirmed that it was the head gasket that failed? A bad head gasket doesn't normally results in a large external leak. From what you've described it sounds like you had a radiator hose with a big leak. And the coolant/oil mix you saw was likely the mixture of coolant and transmission fluid resulting from the failed transmission cooler. So it looks like at a minimum you will need a new radiator, a new/rebuilt transmission, and fix what caused the massive coolant leak. Hopefully the engine is still ok since you pulled over quickly. Good luck with the repairs.

As far as the rattle that occurs as idle, I would check out the exhaust heat shields or anything else that could be loose and making noise. Possibly you've got a bad engine mount?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 am

Yup, agree with all the above, keep us posted on how it goes... And save all your receipts for the radiator & transmission repair, if Nissan finally issues a real recall you might get some big $$$$ back.

bpc2646

Postby bpc2646 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 am

This all happened at 11pm on my way home from work. The area I was in has no street lights so it was very hard to see what was happening with the flashlight on my phone. The coolant mix was very thick and sludgy. From what I could see it looked like the mix just exploded everywhere. The radiator over flow tank was over flowing from the cap and the mix inside was very brown. This mix was very yellowish brown. There was also coolant mix all over the right front tire. I snapped a pic right after I pulled over and got out to see what happened... The puddle only grew in the hr or so that I waited for the tow truck.

Image[/img]

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 am

Looks like the PF had a big night on the town and just couldn't hold it down! I'd certainly guess this is a case of tranny fluid mixing into the coolant. Foamed up and was no longer cooling the engine hence the high temps and obligatory spewing of fluids. The motor very likely is ok but the radiator is gone for sure. The big question is how long has it been like this. If the radiator gave out while it was sitting...and all the fluid mixture occurred when you restarted (probably very wishful thinking) the tranny may not have been damaged too much. A complete fluid flush would be money well spent IMHO and then see what happens. If she's been driving it this way for awhile before parking...I would bet the tranny is gone as well...and hopefully the engine wasn't overheated multiple times.

The one key point I see here is that the 2008 is susceptible to the radiator problem for sure. This is the first 2008 I've seen on here and maybe with the highest miles as well. I'm at 85k miles and have decided to keep mine for awhile so I'm doing the bypass and complete fluid changes real soon.

bpc2646

Postby bpc2646 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm

It's true, this 2008 is the victim of the radiator-trans issue. I got a call from the mechanic today and He confirmed that the radiator went along with the oil cooler inside causing the fluids to mix and then the engine to overheat. I talked to my sister and she said she doesn't remember the tranny slipping at all before she left. The shop is going to replace the radiator and I think I might just ask them to do a bypass to rule out a recurrence. The shop is also going to flush the trans, run it, and flush again. Hopefully this will be work and the trans will have survived the ordeal. If not, then it's off to the trans shop for a diagnosis on what to do next.

On another note, as you can tell this vehicle is high mileage at 130K. Any tips on what to have the shop look for other than the obvious issue? I really want to get this thing back in good running order before she gets back. I looked for maintenance records and I only found a few. I guessing this PF was neglected so I want to prevent further issues if I can while it's in my hands.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 pm

The new radiators are supposed to be updated to prevent this from happening again. Your choice if you bypass this time around or not. I would just do a complete inspection and fluid change all around and go from there. Not much else you can do at this point. Starting to PM at 130k miles isn't going to get you too far in the scheme of things. The fact nothing has failed to this point is a testament to the durability.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm

It would be wise to have all fluids replaced (differentials, transfer case, power steering, brake fluid). Have the coolant system flushed it if hasn't been already to make sure all the trans fluid is gone. Check the serpentine belt and hoses. Check for any diagnostic codes. Check u-joints on the driveshafts. At that mileage the shocks are probably worn so have those checked. Good idea to have the brakes checked as well. Have the tires inspected. Even if they have plenty of tread they may be wearing unevenly. This could help diagnosis any alignment steering or suspension issues. Oh and don't forget the spark plugs. They are supposed to be replaced at 105k miles. I know this sounds like a lot but its mostly just a thorough inspection of the vehicle. Keep us posted.

bpc2646

Postby bpc2646 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:51 pm

No kidding, I'm amazed this thing has lasted this long with the sparse maintenance that has been done so far. I just wanted to know if there was anything particular on the truck that should have failed by 130k and should be inspected or replaced. I am having the shop go through the engine and change all fluids and inspect for weak spots. Good to know about the updated radiator design and redundancy with the bypass.

I'm also replacing the entire suspension system since I don't think anything has been done so far and at 130k its due for this as well I'm sure. Got some good tips from other posts. On top of that, I'm also looking into new tires; the ones on it are all worn, have uneven wear patterns, and go flat constantly. Then of course alignment and such. I have my hands full with this truck.

bpc2646

Postby bpc2646 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 pm

New radiator is installed and the trans has been flushed. Shop says the car runs and shifts fine now. Still there getting everything checked out. Gave them a list of fluids to change and areas to check. Hopefully nothing else turns up. Thanks for all the advice so far.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Good luck with the transmission, we've all got our fingers crossed for you...

bpc2646

Postby bpc2646 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Got the PF back today. Took it for a drive to test it out. Runs well, the shop changed the oil, flushed the trans twice, replaced the radiator, flushed the cooling system and tightened the exhaust heat shield so it doesn't rattle anymore. The trans is by no means working well though. If you're gentile it shifts fine but when pushed it holds gears and has a tough time finding the right gear when it does shift. I was told to drive it for a few thousand miles and do another flush then. Does this make sense to anyone? It's clear there is still coolant in the trans so I don't want to do more damage and ruin the already fragile/damaged parts. If I can save the trans, I would obviously prefer to do that. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

It's worth noting the shop does not normally service transmissions but they have seen this issue on a PF before and in that case the trans was " toast."

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm

I'd probably look for a shop that can flush the transmission. It won't shift right without the proper fluid..which brings up another point..make sure they used the correct fluid.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”