Dual electric Cooling fans System

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

forgottenzone

Dual electric Cooling fans System

Postby forgottenzone » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:57 pm

I have changed my mechanical cooling fan system to Dual electric Flex A Lite variable speed cooling fan system.
I have it installed for about 5 months now.I had it sitting around for like 7 months till I had time to insall it. took me about 2 days to get it installed, since I took it to my field construction job, and during work while babysitting supervisors and workers I was working on it. So probably it can be done in a day if you where only working on it. everything except fan mounts fit perfectly.
Flex A Lite incloods universal top and bottom few different hardware mounts. I was able to modify their mount for the top mount but had to come up with some home depot parts and available bottom frame holes to make bottom system mounts.
All I can say is I love it. The V8 is so much quieter now under the hood.
When the fans come on you can barly hear them, compared to the mechanical one. The Flex A Lite Comes with its own Fan Brain Module wich controlls fan by turning them on and off at variable speeds, and running them at maximum speeds when neaded. also it turns them on when the A/C system comes on.
I think most of the instalation was bottom mounts, and setiing up the Electrical Wires.
A Lot of people say that the FLEX A Lite module doesnot work properly or it dies, I am not sure if these where old versions, but my version has been working without a glitch.
I have noticed 1.5 to 2 MPG gains. and I have a very heavy foot. this is why I own a V8. didnot buy it for economy. My wife has Prius for that suff.
But i can tell you this mod is deffenetly fuel economy friendly more then any other mod. and if you drive normal you can deff get even better MPG's
The Engine gets to the Operating temperature twice as fast. Wich is great right now at the winter months.I have remote starter and dont see the point of it anymore.
I have also removed the factory electronic Pushing fan thats located between the front grill and next to the Trany cooler.
No need for it anymore since there are 2 flexalite fans that cover entire width of the radiator.
And hopefuly this will give me some additional HP once i get it all Uprev Dyno Tuned. I have a Uprev Tuner Version On the order, Found a great black friday price i couldnot turn down.

Its $499 at autoanything. I waited for the 15% off free shipping
came out to $425. you can find them on ebay for $433 free shipping.

Flex A Lite Model Number ( 295 ) Nissan Titan 04-05

Features
•Eliminates the parasitic drag of factory belt-driven fans
•Cranks up your engine's horsepower and torque
•Allows for quicker warm ups and cool downs
•Extends water pump life
•Quieter than conventional belt-driven fans
•Improves air conditioner performance
•Bolsters fuel mileage
•Your Flex-a-lite Electric Cooling Fan is backed by a 1-year warranty
•Air Flow: 2740-4600 cfm
•Amp Draw: 16-28A
•Width: 27.5"
•Height: 17.5"
•Depth: 4"
•Controls: Variable Speed Controller

Here are few pictures of the fans from the top. next time I change my oil i will take some pictures from the bottom. I am planing to wrap all those wires so that thay dont stick out like that, Just have not had time to do it:

Last edited by forgottenzone on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

question. Have you done the trans cooler bypass?

I'd be concerned relying on these 2 fans to cool the rad AND external trans cooler vs the massive clutch driven fan...

But very cool. have been looking for a mod like this.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:17 pm

disallow wrote:question. Have you done the trans cooler bypass?
didn't think the 08+ v8's had this problem?

disallow wrote:But very cool. have been looking for a mod like this.
agreed!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I dont think any model has been ruled out as yet, in the absence of a response from Nissan.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm

I'd get some small, plastic conduit to wrap those wires up with. It'll protect them from rubbing through against anything and make it look a lot neater.

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 am

I have 82,000 miles with not a single issue as of yet.
That includes trany.
Massive mechanincal fan? you are right, it is heavy as *$%^
These fans cover 100% of the radiator and pull alot more CFM at 100% operational speed then Mechanical fan.
V8 already has large external trany cooler as you already probably know.
So yes I am planing to disconect and bypass the radiator cooler one, and add another external cooler.
I have full warranty until 105,000 miles and a good friend service manager at the Nissan stilership, He told me not to worry about it as long as i have the warranty he will take care of it and replace with new trany not reman. and so far he has not had any V8 pathy's with this issue since they came out in 08.
I udjusted my temperature to 190 with my 7 inch tablet android system that monitors all my paramiters and alerts me when high and low values are not in their range. before with the manual fan engine coolant temp was always around 200 - 205.
disallow wrote:question. Have you done the trans cooler bypass?

I'd be concerned relying on these 2 fans to cool the rad AND external trans cooler vs the massive clutch driven fan...

But very cool. have been looking for a mod like this.
Last edited by forgottenzone on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 am

I have not heard of anyone with V8 pathfinder have any issues. maybe they upgraded the radiators for 08 year.

didn't think the 08+ v8's had this problem?

Thank you...
disallow wrote:But very cool. have been looking for a mod like this.
agreed![/quote] [/quote]

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am

Yeah thanks. I did mention that at the end of my original post that i still need to do. i am changing my hid balasts from DC-DC to DC-AC ones and will take care of it aat the same time.
smj999smj wrote:I'd get some small, plastic conduit to wrap those wires up with. It'll protect them from rubbing through against anything and make it look a lot neater.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Nice setup, what was the part number of the Flex-a-lite kit?

Isn't that auxillary push fan primarily for the AC condenser??? Might not want to remove that...

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 am

I added 1 more pic to the first post. it shows the fans and engine from the top.

Thanks RacerZX. when I get home ill get you the part # for the kit.
It was made for 04-05 Nissan Titan.

I do allot of research, as I can see you do as well, before I do anything to my vehicles.

The OEM Electric pushing fan is there like you stated to come on when the A/C is running, Only when the engine RPM goes below 2000, such as traffic, traffic light, stop sign etc.
Its also mounted to the side of the radiator where the Mechanical fan is not pulling the air. Reason behind the electric oem fan is because the mechanical fan is not moving enough air at low RPM.
By installing dual electric fans that cover complete width of the radiator there is no need for the oem pushing fan. Becuase the electric fan control module is wired to the A/C Compressor clutch switch.
So when ever the A/C comes ON, the electric fans come ON.
At low speeds they run at 100% and as you get on the highway the control module adjusts the fan speed accordingly.
RacerZX wrote:Nice setup, what was the part number of the Flex-a-lite kit?

Isn't that auxillary push fan primarily for the AC condenser??? Might not want to remove that...

forgottenzone

Flex A Lite Information

Postby forgottenzone » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:23 am

Updated firts post with information below:
Its $499 at autoanything. I waited for the 15% off free shipping
came out to $425. you can find them on ebay for $433 free shipping.

Flex A Lite Model Number ( 295 ) Nissan Titan 04-05

Features
•Eliminates the parasitic drag of factory belt-driven fans
•Cranks up your engine's horsepower and torque
•Allows for quicker warm ups and cool downs
•Extends water pump life
•Quieter than conventional belt-driven fans
•Improves air conditioner performance
•Bolsters fuel mileage
•Your Flex-a-lite Electric Cooling Fan is backed by a 1-year warranty
•Air Flow: 2740-4600 cfm
•Amp Draw: 16-28A
•Width: 27.5"
•Height: 17.5"
•Depth: 4"
•Controls: Variable Speed Controller

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 am

I have an extended warranty for another 30k miles. I am thinking there is a resonable chance I will need it because of the radiator/trans issues.

Do you think the changes you made will give a stealership reason to not honor repairing a blown tranny/radiator?

I want to do this mod but I have seen firsthand how my stealership fought tooth and nail to not honor warranty stuff in the past?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 am

I wouldn't chance it on anything you can't change back to OEM with relative ease.

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Clay350, if you dont know anyone in your stealership and are warried about it wait untill it expires or do it and if something happens change it back. Its realy is not a big job to remove and replace once you figure out your mounting points and have it all done. its a matter of removing 4 mounts and 4 bolts and puting back the fan clutch with shroud, if you do the electric fans yourself you will know how to change it back. maybe 1 hour- 2 max. I will be changing my hid balasts in a week or so and ill take pictures of how i mounted the bottom of the radiator.
A good friend of mine is a service manager at the nissan where i purchased the pathfinder, and i have no problems. with all the work I have done i take it for regular checkups with no issues at al, thats why It doesnot matter to me. I even spoke with him about doing the cooler bypass, and he told me dont worry if it ever comes to that while i still have warranty he will make sure I get new not rebuilt trany. I have right now 83,000 miles on it. only issue I had on the car was a leaking front diff cover, I purchased ithe pathfinder 2 years ago ,12/30/2010, a lady leases pathfinders every 2 years, and after 2 years returned it with 66,000 miles. She has done every posible service at the dealer and even changed all the oil and fluids on regular. My friend printed out the whole service record for my pathy and I have the whole history for it. I have Security + Plus warranty untill end of this year or 103,000 miles.

Finchum

Postby Finchum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 am

Nice job. I admire the effort to try something new. I was curious as to why they kept the big mechanical fan in the pathfinders when properly designed/shrouded electric fans can do the job. All while being quieter and more efficient.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”