Transmission filter

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Transmission filter

Postby Gray » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:46 pm

I've looked through the service manual for reference to a transmission filter but haven't found anything. Do any know for sure if there is an internal filter or does Nissan just use a screen. If there is no OE filter provided would there be some upside to installing an aftermarket transmission filter on an oil cooler line for towing or offroad trail use?

BMXPath

Re: Transmission filter

Postby BMXPath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Greybrick wrote:I've looked through the service manual for reference to a transmission filter but haven't found anything. Do any know for sure if there is an internal filter or does Nissan just use a screen.
The R51 uses no filter or screen.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Re: Transmission filter

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:00 pm

BMXPath wrote:
Greybrick wrote:I've looked through the service manual for reference to a transmission filter but haven't found anything. Do any know for sure if there is an internal filter or does Nissan just use a screen.
The R51 uses no filter or screen.
Huh ... Nissan P/N 31728 7S11A is the filter for the R51 A/T trans. ... But it is a screen type , so there is no need to replace or clean unless you have really bad fluid or internal damage ...

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks Shawn, some of the local transmission shops are trying to sell me on aftermarket transmission filters. Not a lot of price but would it be effective to a Nissan automatic transmission in the long run.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Greybrick wrote:Thanks Shawn, some of the local transmission shops are trying to sell me on aftermarket transmission filters. Not a lot of price but would it be effective to a Nissan automatic transmission in the long run.

Probably wouldnt hurt , but you would have to be sure to change it with fluid changes .... I would hate to see it plug up and cause an issue !!

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:50 am

SHAWNATGERBROCK wrote:Probably wouldnt hurt , but you would have to be sure to change it with fluid changes .... I would hate to see it plug up and cause an issue !!
Thanks Shawn, like an engine oil filter these automatic transmission filters have a pressure bypass as well so they wouldn't plug a line. From reading some previous model PF auto transmissions have had problems with the trans cooler plugging off, but I haven't heard of problems with the 05+ yet.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”