Rough Transmission Shifting when Cold

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Rough Transmission Shifting when Cold

Postby DanJetta » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 am

Hey guys,

My trannie shifts pretty rough when my Pathfinder is cold and I wanted to see if this is normal or if I should be worried.

The roughness is primarily going in and out of first, like both transitions are delayed. When I slow to a stop, I can feel it shifting back into first and it feels almost like someone bumped me from behind.

When the car warms up, transitions are smooth and normal.

I'm totally willing to accept this as "it's just a truck" if it's normal.

'08 LE V8 with 75K miles

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 am

correct trans fluid & level?
any contamination or milky appearance evident in trans oil?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Everything seems to be a-ok with type, level and consistency of fluid.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 am

DanJetta wrote:Everything seems to be a-ok with type, level and consistency of fluid.
Is this with every gear change when cold? Mine does the same, but only when cold & shifting from 2 to 3-no other gear change will give me that lurching effect.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Mine is starting to worry me to.

The shift from first to second when cold litterally jolts the whole car. its as if no clutch is used at all.

I dont remember mine doing this last year when cold?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Mine is only when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, and it feels just like someone bumping me from behind.

The thing that worries me is that my wife's Jetta started this last year and ended up needing a transmission valve body. Only thing is that with the Jetta it got worse as the fluid warmed up; the Pathfinder is the opposite.

I'm going to wait a couple thousand more miles and take it in for a diagnostic.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 am

Clay350 wrote:Mine is starting to worry me to.

The shift from first to second when cold litterally jolts the whole car. its as if no clutch is used at all.

I dont remember mine doing this last year when cold?
Mine will do it the first mile or so when driving in the morning, which is usually maybe 5 or 6 starts from stop. And that can be after a warm 40 degree summer night.

Be it the rpms, the vibe I get or what have you, I can sense when to let off on the gas right before the shift. Almost like I was driving a manual, minus the clutch. No banging into gear that way, but sometimes I have no choice if traffic is pressing on my ass. Once everything is up to temp, no problem whatsoever. Yes, I have had Nissan look at it, but that is pretty futile because they have to experience the same thing while test driving it, because they can't/won't pop off a transmission to have a looksee if one thinks something is wrong. Of course, the 2 or 3 times I've dropped mine off to have them look at it, it wouldn't lurch into gear for them. C'est la vie.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 am

I feel your pain. I dropped a car off at the dealership once so they could drive it first thing in the morning and they said, "Our tech drove it and found nothing wrong." When I got in, the odometer was on the EXACT same number as when I dropped it off. Not even a tenth of a mile was added.

I asked a car-savvy friend about the transmission and he told me this: Transmission fluid issues (old, low, etc.) usually exhibit themselves as rough shifts when cold. Transmission mechanical failures usually exhibit themselves through "hunt and grab" behavior. This means you accelerate, the trannie slips for a second and then grabs.

He also told me that a quick way to find out if your trannie is bad is to change the transmission fluid. Apparently, changing the fluid will often expedite a slow death to "immediate" death. Not sure how that works, but he said that when they drain the fluid from a transmission (for inspection) and find that it's faulty, they always put the same oil back in to avoid sudden death.

I read online somewhere that there is a TSB for a Pathfinder transmission software update. I'm going to look into that more.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 pm

You might be refering to the TSB regarding the 2008 Pathfinders w/ the VQ40DE engine.

Reference: NTB08-045A

Date: December 7, 2009
2008 PATHFINDER, FRONTIER, & XTERRA;
SHORT BUMP/THUMP FELT DURING LIGHT ACCELERATION

This bulletin has been amended. The Claims Information has been updated. No other changes have been made.
APPLIED VEHICLE(S):
2008 Pathfinder (R51) VQ40DE and A/T only
2008 Frontier (D40) VQ40DE and A/T only
2008 Xterra (N50) A/T only

APPLIED VIN / DATE

IF YOU CONFIRM

A short-lasting (less than 1 second) bump/thump is felt:
^ With light throttle application (slight throttle tip-in, less than 2/8th)

^ With light throttle application (slight throttle tip-in, less than 2/8th)

and
^ while driving on a flat or slightly inclined road

and
^ with the transmission in fifth gear and torque converter at full lockup

and
^ with an engine speed of approximately 1100-1300 RPM

and
^ at speeds of 35-45 MPH.

ACTIONS

Confirm this bulletin applies:
^ Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A.

If that part number does not match one in Table A, this bulletin does not apply. Go back to ASIST for further diagnostic and repair information.

If this bulletin applies, reprogram the ECM.

Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A.

If that part number does not match one in Table A, this bulletin does not apply. Go back to ASIST for further diagnostic and repair information.

IMPORTANT:
The purpose of "ACTIONS" (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.

CLAIMS INFORMATION

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Connect C-III to the vehicle to begin the reprogramming procedure.

2. When you get to the ECM Reprogramming screen shown in Figure 1, confirm this bulletin applies as follows:

A. On your C-III screen, look at the Part Number column (see Figure 1 example):
^ If this column is blank (no part number listed), this bulletin does not apply. Close C-III and refer to ASIST for further diagnostic information.

^ If a Part Number is listed, write it on the Repair Order.

B. Compare the Part Number you wrote down to the number in the Current ECM Part Number in Table A below.

^ If there is a match, this bulletin applies. Continue with the reprogramming procedure.

NOTE:
If there is a match to two lines (two reprogramming options) on your C-III screen, use the one that does not have the message "Caution! Use ONLY with NTBXX-XXX".

^ If there is not a match, this bulletin does not apply. Close C-III and refer to ASIST for further diagnostic information.

^ Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A.

IMPORTANT:
The purpose of "ACTIONS" (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.

CLAIMS INFORMATION

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Connect C-III to the vehicle to begin the reprogramming procedure.

2. When you get to the ECM Reprogramming screen shown in Figure 1, confirm this bulletin applies as follows:

A. On your C-III screen, look at the Part Number column (see Figure 1 example):
^ If this column is blank (no part number listed), this bulletin does not apply. Close C-III and refer to ASIST for further diagnostic information.

^ If a Part Number is listed, write it on the Repair Order.

B. Compare the Part Number you wrote down to the number in the Current ECM Part Number in Table A below.

^ If there is a match, this bulletin applies. Continue with the reprogramming procedure.

NOTE:
If there is a match to two lines (two reprogramming options) on your C-III screen, use the one that does not have the message "Caution! Use ONLY with NTBXX-XXX".

^ If there is not a match, this bulletin does not apply. Close C-III and refer to ASIST for further diagnostic information.

3. If this bulletin applies and you have performed ECM reprogramming, when complete the screen in Figure 2 appears.

4. Make sure to erase DTCs from all Systems.
NOTE:
During the reprogramming DTCs will set in several systems. DTCs must be erased from all systems.

5. Make sure the throttle is released and your foot is not pressing the brake pedal, then operate the ignition as follows:

^ The above key cycle will reset ECM "self learned" data.

6. Test drive the vehicle and make sure it operates correctly and the Check Engine light is OFF.
^ If the Check Engine light comes ON; diagnose, perform repairs, and erase DTCs.

^ Diagnosis and repairs beyond the ECM reprogramming are not covered by this bulletin.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:12 pm

mine's been doing the 'bump' for quite awhile, but only when i'm in (M)anual mode and i downshift from 3rd to 2nd. it doesn't do it between any other gears. in general i don't downshift until i'm under 40mph. it used to do it 1 out of 20 times, but then i changed my trans fluid.

now it does it once every probably 50 times, but i use M -alot-.
in no particular order, here's the conditions that the bump occurs:
-hot or cold trans temp
-with or without throttle
-with or without brakes applied
-within the first 5 min, or after driving for an hour or more
-turning or not

so since it got a little better after changing the trans fluid, i was thinking about changing it again.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”