Vacuum leak?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Vacuum leak?

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

If I cycle throught the different blower vent positions, it actually takes a while for the vent doors in the dash to open and close. It's definitely not right. Could this be due to a vacuum leak?

Also, not sure if this is related, but one time while accelerating (punching it) angrily around a slow driver, someone moved in front of me and I had to slam on my brakes, the truck didn't really react. The pedal went pretty far towards the floor, it was a little disconcerting.

What do you guys think?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

The mode door actuators are electric motors, not vacuum controlled, so they do take a little bit of time when they are changing modes. As far as the brakes, was the pedal hard when this occured? If so, you may want to replace the brake booster check valve. There have been a few reported as going bad and it's only a couple of dollars for the part from Nissan. Without having experienced it, it's hard to say for sure.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

The pedal was definitely mushy when I hit the brakes.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am

Unless you have air trapped in your system, that's probably the norm for the R51's. I did a panic stop about a week ago and buried the pedal. It went pretty close to the floor, but the ABS kicked in and stopped the vehicle in a reasonable distance, considering the weight of the vehicle and the speed that I was going. It's definately a "soft" feel compared to older trucks and SUV's from the 90's and earlier.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”