Idle air problems after throttle body cleaning help!!!!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Black_pathy07

Idle air problems after throttle body cleaning help!!!!

Postby Black_pathy07 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

So I cleaned my throttle body out the other day my pathfinder has 154k miles on it and after driving it a few blocks my SES light came on. I used the OBDII code reader at my work at it said idle air revolutions per minute higher than expected. Anyone know how to fix this? Please help because I want to get rid of the SES light and my pathfinder is wasting way too much gas!!!!

Black_pathy07

Postby Black_pathy07 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Bump! Please help. I read something about an idle relearn? Anyone have any idea what that is or how to do it?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm

might search for a "MAF relearn" type deal, might be a similar issue.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, most of us learned this way to not clean the throttle body. It's not the MAF really...it's that the butterfly servo learns to open over time with build up, but won't automatically learn the other way when you clean it.

There's a procedure in the service manual to make the ECU relearn air idle. But some of us (like me) can't get that to work and had to take it to the dealership. Takes a few minutes with their computer and you're set.

Black_pathy07

Postby Black_pathy07 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Yeah I suppose I'll just take it to the dealership -.- thank you for the responses. Never again will I clean the throttle body on an import car. Lesson learned haha.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm

I've cleaned my TB three times and have never had to relearn or reset anyhing. My cleaning involved carb cleaner and a toothbrush. I brushed the entire butterfly inside and outside as much as possible with a rag on the botom of the TB so it soaks up any excess cleaner and does not flow down the TB. I also held the butterfly open with a spark plug socket or similar to reach the inner side of it and brushed thoroughly the sides; I also used a cleaner soaked rag on my finger to reach the botom edges of the butterfly. I never sprayed cleaner deep beyond the butterfly; always sprayed on the tooth brush and kept a rag in inside the TB. So far so good and going strong with 165,000 miles.
I also did this to my Nissan Quest but i learned a lesson here and that is never to open the butterfly while the socket is holding; that is because the TB on the Quest flows a bit down so the socket rolled towards the inside of the intake manifold and thank God I had a telescopic magnet and was able to bring the socket back , what a sour feeling that was. :shock:

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Then you're lucky. You may be cleaning it before significant deposits occur somehow, but the computer doesn't learn in the other direction...

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 pm

I guess I am :) but maybe it's because I do not remove the TB from the car; always did while on the car. If you unplugg the TB and remove it for clenaing then yes you will need to do the accelerator pedal released position and throtle valve closed position learn.
P.S I.ve cleaned it every 50,000

Black_pathy07

Postby Black_pathy07 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 pm

So my local nissan Stealership want to charge me $95 for a idle air system relearn, does that sound about right to y'all?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:07 am

Black_pathy07 wrote:So my local nissan Stealership want to charge me $95 for a idle air system relearn, does that sound about right to y'all?
Seems to be the going rate, although I seem to remember paying $60.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”