Gear Grinding in left front axel

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Rannunziato, you could check if it is VDC simply by switching it off.
I do not how it is on US models but mine [european] has a "ESP OFF" (same as VDC) switch at centre console between seat heater switches.

If your problem goes away while VDC is off, then you'll know its all normal.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:27 pm

If I remember correctly, the VDC system is separate from the ABS system. You can turn the VDC off, but the ABS system will still do an auto check and function like normal; which would mean that there would still be that grinding sound.

Honestly, I think it's normal at this point. I notice when I just start up my car and start driving away. I live on a dirt road and I just always though that this car slipped on that one bump and activated the ABS/VDC system, but now after reading the posts in this thread I realized that it's just the self check system.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 am

You recall correctly. Turning off the VDC does not eliminate the ABLS feature. It just eliminates the 'Dynamic Control' or detection of fishtailing. If your tires slip, the ABLS still kicks in. You can get another level of disable by pressing and holding the VDC OFF button for 5 seconds.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 am

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back slid on some snow and I experienced the same thing.

It is a little concerning considering my car doesn't do that, but it make sense. Seemed to keep making the noise even after I took my foot off the brake.

So I'm with the rest, I'd say normal.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm

That's very interesting, what else do you turn off by holding down the VDC switch?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 am

disallow wrote:You can get another level of disable by pressing and holding the VDC OFF button for 5 seconds.
?? Don't leave us hanging!

I only now looked at this thread, but I'll agree with everyone else that it is simply the VDC. I personally hate the damned thing & have shut it off the second I leave pavement. I was pulled over onto the dirt shoulder of a highway a couple years ago & when I tried getting back onto the highway, it was as if my engine only had 2hp. It simply would not move because it was detecting a little wheel spin. Quite the ass puckering situation when you have traffic bearing down on you.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Hmmmm. I mostly find VDC pretty transparent. Last year in Saudi my government vehicle was a 2010 Ford Expedition. It regularly dialed back the throttle...a lot. Go over a speedbump and accelerate on the other side? Lose the throttle on the other side for 1-3 seconds. It felt more like an ignition kill switch than a slight reduction in power and was really aggravating.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

My girlfriend were driving to a gymnastics meet on Saturday night and the roads were horrible. I bitched about the VDC & she asked me what that is. Since she drives the Xterra, I gave her a lesson after the the meet. I showed her the difference between ABS and the VDC on the snowy roads. Interestingly, when showing her the ABS, I could get the Path to come to a stop quicker on my own than by letting the ABS try and stop the thing. On pavement, I understand the need. In any situation where wheel spin will be super frequent, I wish there was a kill switch for all electronic driving aids.

rannunziato

Gear Grinding

Postby rannunziato » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 am

Thank you all for your very informative and valuable information. That's why I love this forum...I have read through all of the posts and I will try to turn off the VDC in the next storm and report back my findings.

In the mean time, recently pulled a CEL and when there's time to take it in for service I will print out this thread, hand it to my mechanic and see what he says.

In summary, I do love my PF and most probably will continue to be a loyal owner. I just wish, as others have posted, there was a way to disable all "engineered controls" and get back to basic off roading. "Lock the hubs and have at it"

Thank you all again, I will continue to monitor and report back when the next storm hits.....

Rich

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”