VDC, SLIP, and ABS lights on **How to resolve**

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

VDC, SLIP, and ABS lights on **How to resolve**

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 am

Hey all,

We've gotten copious amounts of snow here in Manitoba over the past couple days. I have well over 5 foot drifts in my driveway.

I've found that when the weather gets really bad, and I put alot of stress on the VDC/ABLS system, and drive through really deep drifts, switch from 4wd to 2wd alot (do this to facilitate tight turns sometimes), that my VDC/ABS system goes into 'fault mode' where all 3 lights (VDC OFF, SLIP, and ABS) illuminate on the dash. At this point, you get zero assist from the computer, kind of like driving an old Jimmy! I know some people who would pay good money to be able to do this at the flick of a switch.

However, I find that I've come to rely at least on the traction control portion of this functionality. Also not a fan of my dash being lit up like a christmas tree. So, the fix is (if there is nothing actually wrong with the system) to pull over and kill the ignition and restart twice. Upon driving away after doing this, the lights should go out, and everything should be back to normal.

Probably some snow that got into the ABS sensors in the wheels. They are pretty exposed, but after driving a bit, the snow should clear away from them.

Anyone else come across this?

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 am

How do we go about turning off the computer help? Sometimes I just want to drive my Pathfinder without the wheels being told what to do by a computer.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 am

I vaguely remember reading something about it on this site, but for most if not all Nissan cars, removing the ABS fuse can do it. Works for dynoing and other items that require the ECU not to control the power output/VDC/ABS system.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 am

I randomly get the VDC OFF, SLIP lights on but it's usually on a restart. if I shut down for 10 seconds and start again they go off. I've heard that problem is related to a goofy steering position sensor, but it's so rare I don't lose much sleep over it.

Considering the ABS light is coming on...and ABS pretty much has to work for VDC/SLIP to work...my guess is it's some sort of sensor issue or a controller. I have to wonder if something isn't over-heating since it's only doing this when you're using the hell out of it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”