White smoke from exhaust then P1021 error.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Russian bear

White smoke from exhaust then P1021 error.

Postby Russian bear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 am

Hi all! On odo 4200 km and during almost winter season car was standing in cold box. Sometimes i run the engine to charge battery. Recently i received P1021 error and noticed white smoke from exhaust pipe. This smoke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wS15O9_1xM
Against this background, on cold start something bubbling under front panel. Bubbling stops then engine works over 3-7 minutes. No coolant leaks detected, level not changes. What is this?

impulsepath

Re: White smoke from exhaust then P1021 error.

Postby impulsepath » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Bubbling or gurgling coming from the passenger side of the dashboard is air in the cooling system. Air in the heater core makes a cavitation sound.
Pathfinders by design are plagued by this issue (and Nissans in general).
My 3 month old Pathfinder gurgles straight from the factory... :)

Not sure what code P1021 is.

I any case you are still under warranty, take it back to the dealer.
Russian bear wrote:Hi all! On odo 4200 km and during almost winter season car was standing in cold box. Sometimes i run the engine to charge battery. Recently i received P1021 error and noticed white smoke from exhaust pipe. This smoke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wS15O9_1xM
Against this background, on cold start something bubbling under front panel. Bubbling stops then engine works over 3-7 minutes. No coolant leaks detected, level not changes. What is this?

Russian bear

Re: White smoke from exhaust then P1021 error.

Postby Russian bear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 pm

impulsepath, thanks for reply!
Bubbling or gurgling coming from the passenger side of the dashboard is air in the cooling system. Air in the heater core makes a cavitation sound.
But from where air bubbles in my heater? And why this sound every time goes out after 3-7 minutes of work? At first time i supossed that was simple airlock from plant and made following: climbed on the rise,stopped and gave gas over 3000rpm. Then all bubbles had gone. But every time then car stands more than 6-8 hours, this voice from dashboard comes in.
My 3 month old Pathfinder gurgles straight from the factory... Smile
Is this still going? And what you have done?
I any case you are still under warranty, take it back to the dealer.
Oh... Shit happens when your russian car dealer digs in your car. :lol: http://jalopnik.com/5901453/why-did-thi ... ith-an-suv
To talk to the dealer, I have to know exactly what to do. :(

impulsepath

Postby impulsepath » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am

Your problem is very likely different from "normal" gurgling, but the mechanism why you hear the sound is the same, cavitation noise in the heater core. I am not sure what white smoke means? Coolant getting in the engine? If you pull out the oil dipstick, do you see coolant droplets in the oil on the dipstick?

I took my Pathfinder to the dealer and pointed out gurgling in the dashboard. The response was, "Does it happen all the time?".
So in translation it is a common problem they don't really like to deal with.
I did the same thing with my truck, parked it on a steep driveway in the hope that it would burp up Tennessee factory air, but no luck.
What am I going to do about it? Next time I am going to buy a Toyota. :)

Loved the video. Not sure why the doctor wanted a new car, his Suzuki seems to drive just fine. :) They are lucky he did not have a proper vehicle like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IMG_2 ... sir-s1.jpg

I am surprised somebody has not chimed in yet on what P1021 code means...

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 am

I did a little digging around and that's kind of an oddball code. it might have to do with a sensor on the turbo, which could easily cause smoke. Try resetting the ECM and see if it clears itself up.

impulsepath

Postby impulsepath » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Finally watched your video.
It is a diesel and it has manual transmission! I am jealous!

It looks like it is cold over there, -3C according to you thermometer so the white smoke can be explained as a cold start white smoke. Nothing abnormal for a diesel. If it goes away after driving it for a bit white smoke may not be an issue.

It will be key to read the code and find an explanation for it.
You can reset it and see what happens.

Where do you buy your fuel? White smoke can be water vapor.
Even though water separator in your oil filter should take care of that.

A worst case scenario could be that you have a blown head gasket and that coolant enters the combustion chamber causing white smoke. It would also allow gasses to enter the cooling system causing gurgling.

Good luck!

Russian bear

Postby Russian bear » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:42 am

Coolant getting in the engine? If you pull out the oil dipstick, do you see coolant droplets in the oil on the dipstick?
Checked. No.
What am I going to do about it? Next time I am going to buy a Toyota. Smile
Id like to buy American truck, you lucky. By the way, do your know how much my pathy costs (2.5TD MT)? 46500USD. :lol:
Loved the video. Not sure why the doctor wanted a new car, his Suzuki seems to drive just fine. Smile They are lucky he did not have a proper vehicle like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IMG_2 ... sir-s1.jpg
They are realy lucky he wasnt T90 driver... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90 :lol:
I did a little digging around and that's kind of an oddball code. it might have to do with a sensor on the turbo, which could easily cause smoke. Try resetting the ECM and see if it clears itself up.
That was done. Yes, its an error P1021 TC BOOST CONT ACT. But sometimes, the car seems to be less dynamic.
:?
Finally watched your video.
It is a diesel and it has manual transmission! I am jealous!
It can't be the reason of proud. :lol:
A worst case scenario could be that you have a blown head gasket and that coolant enters the combustion chamber causing white smoke. It would also allow gasses to enter the cooling system causing gurgling.
But, why smoke disappears on warm engine, and gurgling to. :?

impulsepath

Postby impulsepath » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 pm

I can think of other things that could possibly cause your problem, but your truck is too new for that.

One is that you turbo actuator is stuck (rusted or whatever) causing overboost/limp. Does the truck fail to rev past 2000 rpm or so sometimes?
Can you feel the turbo actuator shaft by hand and see if it moves freely?
I would also check to see if vacuum hose on the actuator is still on there.
And check for other hoses that may have come off...

Diesel vehicles here demand a premium over gas vehicles new and used, but US$46k sounds very steep. new R51 pathy gas engine, 5spd auto, cloth interior, 4WD will set you back about US$24k.

Russian bear

Postby Russian bear » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Does the truck fail to rev past 2000 rpm or so sometimes?
No, it never happened, but one thing disturbing me - when i start from cold engine, i hear voice of turbo (great saturated sound) and at this moments car goes perfectly. Then turbo sound becomes more silently than motor sound and car goes even not like 1.6 100hp ford focus, but whistle of turbo after all it is heard.
Can you feel the turbo actuator shaft by hand and see if it moves freely?
I would also check to see if vacuum hose on the actuator is still on there.
And check for other hoses that may have come off...
Its all right.
Diesel vehicles here demand a premium over gas vehicles new and used, but US$46k sounds very steep. new R51 pathy gas engine, 5spd auto, cloth interior, 4WD will set you back about US$24k.

Look http://www.nissan-moscow.ru/models/pathfinder/instock/ Nissan Pathfinder
2.5D 6MT XE
от 1 394 000 rub. 1USD=30Rub

asgard

Postby asgard » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:24 pm

I wouldn't think it was a head gasket as that would blow water out the expansion tank due to compression force over running the cap pressure, I have had this problem on a Ford.
Is there not a heater bleed valve located at the top of the front to back section.

white smoke is common in Canada over winter all cars smoke white when the air is cold - if really cold they will smoke even when warm.

Blown turbos smoke blue / whitish, but that is when the water and air mix due to a blown gasket, if you still have boost you should be OK. White scum on dip stick and filler cap is Not definitive as there is sometimes a small amount of this over winter on a good engine when very cold

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”