How to clean the throttle Body?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

EeJay84

How to clean the throttle Body?

Postby EeJay84 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 am

So I'm guessing my throttle body is the thing causing my idle problems engine stalls and limp modes.

I have a european 2.5L DCI engine. But I can't really locate the throttle body. I MIGHT have found it but it is really hard to get to in the engine compartment.

How can I know for sure this is actually the throttle body? Do I follow the air intake through the MAF-sensor and through the hoses until I find a solid metal piece attached directly to the engine?

And how do I clean it? The CRC Throttle Body cleaner isn't available in Sweden. Do I just use a clean cloth? Do I use any lubricant on the butterfly valve?

RobG

Postby RobG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:05 am

What's the idle like when the engines hot, i.e. after a 20 min drive? My 05 T-Spec has been giving some awful idle on cold start and will stall if I don't keep the pre-heat switch depressed for at least a couple of miles. Once warmed up it idles perfectly so if you solve your issue please update this post so I can try the same fix!

bpk01

Re: How to clean the throttle Body?

Postby bpk01 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 pm

EeJay84 wrote:So I'm guessing my throttle body is the thing causing my idle problems engine stalls and limp modes.

I have a european 2.5L DCI engine. But I can't really locate the throttle body. I MIGHT have found it but it is really hard to get to in the engine compartment.

How can I know for sure this is actually the throttle body? Do I follow the air intake through the MAF-sensor and through the hoses until I find a solid metal piece attached directly to the engine?

And how do I clean it? The CRC Throttle Body cleaner isn't available in Sweden. Do I just use a clean cloth? Do I use any lubricant on the butterfly valve?
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=7152
There are some good pictures of a throttle body on our 4.0L V6. There is also a detailed how to. I wouldn't put lubricant in the throttle body either just the CRC. Since they do not sell it in Sweden I would see if you could order it and have it shipped. A bottle will last you a while and its good for other cars as well. A special note on cleaning the throttle body is you will have to do the throttle relearn its a must or your truck will be revving way past normal.

EeJay84

Postby EeJay84 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:54 pm

To specify my problem.

Background: When I bought it (used) the guy said that it had, after an engine compartment wash, "run like a pile of sh**"(limp mode). The day after it ran fine and two days later I bought it, it had been running fine so my guess was water somewhere in the connector and then it had dried up.

It has gone into limp mode a few times for me. I've cleaned the MAF which was extremely dirty and it gave some better performance and got rid of white exhaust when idle etc. But still gone into limp mode.

I think I've identified it to go into limp mode when idling. Usually after a few minutes idling cold, RPMs is around 800 and every 3-4 seconds it goes down to 600 sounding like it needs gas. But has also happened when stopping at a red light for about a minute after driving fine.
There is no SES lights coming on or whatsoever and my mechanic (not a nissan retailer) has not found any error codes with his diagnostics tool. Also when in limp mode, I just need to turn the car off and on again and then it runs fine.

It has also happened (after being in limp mode and restarting) that the engine have stalled when decelerating and going to neutral when coming to a red light.

So it sounds like "classic" throttle-idle-issues.

bpk01: That gives me little help though, my engine is completely different and since I have a diesel engine there are no spark plugs etc. I'll go through the pictures again just to see if there is something I can use :)

RobG: I guess you have the same engine as me, would you say that the throttle body is located far down on the right side of the engine block?

RobG

Postby RobG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 am

I have no idea where it is or even what it looks like! I picked up on your post because I recall someone else cleaning their TB. If you find it, perhaps you might post a pic for info?

Yes I too have the 2.5 diesel engine. I recently bought some carb cleaner spray and hoping to get out and give the MAF a clean out. Glad to hear it improved your performance slightly!

Good luck and keep us posted ;)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”