Maintenance Guide

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Oly 22

Maintenance Guide

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Okay, I am not a mechanic and have I have a few questions. My Pathfinder has rolled over 48000km (30000mi), so it is time for a major service. According to the guide, I must...
replace the engine oil and filter (no problem but replacing the oil every 6000kms [3700mi] seems a little excessive)
replace the brake fluid (why? wouldn't this be done, with a brake service? I have never changed brake fluid at this low milage and without a brake job)
lube all locks, latches and hinges (no big deal)
replace automatic transmission fluid (also seems a little early, for the amount of miles. I checked the fluid and it is clean as a whistle. Also assume this is not a full fluid replacement but about 1/3. Does it make sense to add 1/3 new ATF, to 2/3 old? That is assuming I am correct in my understanding)
replace engine air filter (no need, have CAI)
replace engine drive belts (does this really need to be done? I have inspected the belts and there is no cracking anywhere. Signs of wear on the belts, is when I would replace them. Not based on how many miles)
replace in cabin microfilter (no big deal, I will replace sometime)
replace differential oil
replace radiator cap (really? I have never replaced a radiator cap)
Replace transfer case oil
replace wiper blades (I will when I need too)
rotate tires
Optional flush of automatic transmission.

Some of this service seems unnecessary, for the amount of miles. I get the fact that if this is not done, it could/would effect my warranty but after reading a number of posts (thanks guys/gals), does all of this really need doing at this time? That all being said, the engine oil and filter, the front and rear differential fluids and transfer case oil has been changed. I have not done the ATF, belts, radiator cap or brake fluid.

As always, I appreciate your comments and experience

Homer J

Postby Homer J » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 am

Most recommended service intervals are tailored toward extreme usage. Basically, if you tow heavy loads on a regular basis, use it as a taxi or police vehicle with excessive stop and go city driving, extreme mountain driving, or any other excessively strenuous use.

If you aren’t doing any of these things, you can safely extend those intervals by 50 to 75%.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:02 am

My manual basically has three service schedules. One looks to be geared for if you're a complete maintenance freak and/or use the PF as a Taxi or for hard-core towing. that appears to be the one you're referring.

The 2nd schedule is more for a typical conservative maintenance types, with 5,000 mile oil change intervals and longer intervals for all the other items.

The 3rd is more mainstream and matches up more to those driving highway miles. This one calls for oil changes at 7,500 miles and pretty much nothign else until 100k miles (or maybe never...i forget).

I've basically used schedule 3 with synthetic oil but have performed other fluid changes at lower intervals. I think the drain and fill of transmission fluid at 30k is a good idea along with the differentials. It's pretty cheap and easy if doing it yourself. Dealers want astronomical amounts to do the fluid services....dealer wanted $600 to drain/fill transmission once, replace fluid in front/rear diffs and transfer case. I bought Nissan fluid for the transmission for $40 and aftermarket fluids for the rest and still didn't have $100 in materials. All are easy to service.

Honda recommends changing the brake fluid every two years....I've never changed it but I did flush some of it during the brake service at 45k miles. I will do that again when this second set of pads needs replaced....so far looking great at 90k.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am

Oly, is this guide from the manufacturer or something you picked up at a Nissan dealer or just something you found online? I ask because I know a lot of Nissan dealers create their own maintenance schedule padded with a bunch of stuff the manufacturer doesn't recommend. Even Nissan's "severe duty" schedule doesn't list a lot of what you have. The "severe duty" lists the following:

-engine oil & filter
-brake fluid
-engine air filter
-cabin air filter
-tire rotoation
*everything else is just listed as "inspect"

That said, I don't think a drain and refill of the transmission and transfer case fluid is a bad idea, especially if you do fall into the catagory of "severe duty." If you go offroading and see a lot of mud, I would recommend replacing the diff oil. If you just drive on streets and highways and don't tow, all of those should be fine. Today's drive belts made with EDPM easily go 70000-100000 miles and if the radiator cap is working properly, leave it alone.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

smj999smj wrote:Oly, is this guide from the manufacturer
What he quoted is the same as what's printed in my manual. They show three maintenance schedules. One is called "premium maintenance" and that is what is shown above by Oly. Schedules 1 & 2 both show "oil and filter" at 30k. Looking through the book...1 & 2 really aren't that much different although 1 uses the 3,750 mile oil change interval and has more inspections listed.

The description of "Premium Maintenance" in the manual says "it was developed for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance". Schedule 1 is for short trips, stop-and-go traffic in hot weather, low speed driving for long distances, dusty conditions, and/or towing a trailer.

I agree on the belt. I swapped my drive belt and tensioner while the radiator was out and the belt looked like new (90k miles). The tensioner however was making noise on start-up (light chirping) which is now gone so that was worth it either way.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi SMJ,

This is from the "Nissan 2011 Service and Maintenance Guide for Canadian Models" that came with the vehicle. The service, I listed above, is the "Preferred Maintenance" for 48000kms (30000mi). As skinny mentioned, there is also a "Schedule 1 and 2 Maintenance" also listed, which includes...
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace brake fluid
Lubricate all locks, latches and hinges
Replace engine air filter
Replace in-cabin micro filter
Replace differential oil
Rotate tires

I do put a lot of highway miles on as well as stop and go city driving. I also drive gravel roads and mining roads and tow mostly in the summer months. Totally mixed use. No heavy off roading, at least not yet :).

So far, I have done everything under the "Schedule 1 and 2 Maintenance as well as the Transfer Case Oil, with the exception of the brake fluid. Just wondering what really needs to be done. I guess I need to replace the brake fluid and will drain and fill the ATF, probably at my next scheduled service. Never have done either before but willing to give it a lash. I will keep and eye on everything else.

The Pathfinder is the first vehicle I have owned, for sometime, everything else has been a company car. I want to look after her. Thanks for everyone's comments, always very helpful

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm

The service manual for my path (2006 EURO) says service interval is 15000km and minor service (basicly engine oli change and just some checks) for each 15 Kkms. "bigger service" is for every 60 Kkms and "major" service for each 90 Kkms it includes replacing belt, coolant, all oils trasmission, brakes, differentials etc.

IMHO, servicig for each 6000kms is a little overkill..

BTW, few weeks ago I got recall letter from Nissan. There might be some issue with driver seat wires.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 pm

What I listed came from ALLDATA for a 2011 Pathfinder, which is supposed to come from the manufacturer (of course, ALLDATA is far from perfect). That said, the "premium maintenance" sounds like overkill to me!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 am

smj999smj wrote:What I listed came from ALLDATA for a 2011 Pathfinder, which is supposed to come from the manufacturer (of course, ALLDATA is far from perfect). That said, the "premium maintenance" sounds like overkill to me!
Also sounds like marketing on behalf of the dealers. Not a lot of money to be made servicing vehicles from the "normal" schedules. Probably why their prices seem to be astronomical for routine stuff. Quoted $150 for drain/fill of transmission fluid (a couple years ago)....same service on wifes Acura MDX (today) is $75. For $75 I'll let the dealer do it as it's not worth dragging out the tools and such after buying fluids. $150....I just won't pay it because it's wrong!!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”