Front pinion seal repair

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NmexMAX

Front pinion seal repair

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am

Has anyone had one fail? I blame it on my Titan front diff, seems as if it's common with them, and possibly related to a DS TSB. Anyhow, if yours is leaking, (mine was a touch, but the Titan diff I got was much worse), below is a nice How To from TitanTalk.

And the problem is that I have some armor under it and didn't notice it on the ground under the vehicle. Only when I went under there and noticed a small drip from where the driveshaft meets the yolk. Decided to stick my hand in the armor case, (more liked dunked) and it was full of fluid.

Either way, this is an easy job. A decent impact gun required, a 30mm socket and a 3 prong puller, if you don't have one, they can be rented. The rest are common tools I'm sure everyone on here has. And of course fluid and the seal itself (70+$ from Courtesy Nissan)

Thought it be helpful:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-e ... w-fix.html

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:02 pm

I had an issue with my rear pinion seals, but it resolved when I figured out that the vent line for the diff was TOTALLY plugged. When I loosened the filler bolt on the diff, it actually hissed from being under pressure.

I was trying to figure out how to replace the pinion seals when I discovered the issue. Since I fixed the vent line, I haven't had any more leakage.

t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”