Vibration at Idle

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

MonkeyMike

Vibration at Idle

Postby MonkeyMike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Well, the wait for me is finally over. I got my PF on April 16 :D .

Something I am noticing now (that I didn't notice on test drives) is that there is engine vibration at idle. Specifically, If Im sitting at a stoplight, I can feel a definate vibration while Im on the brake. Not a vibration through the brake pedal, but a whole car vibration similar to an older 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission.

Is this how the PF feels when stopped in gear? It does not have the smoothness one would expect with a V6 engine (especially the VQ series).

I have about 650 miles on it so far, combination of city and highway. I've pretty much babied it so far.

i feel like i have a big 4-banger with this vibration :oops:

~mike

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:56 pm

I know the vibration you are talking about. Sometimes it gets a little worse then smooths out, like it's adjusting itself. It's just enough to notice. The VQ40 is nowhere near as smooth as the old VQ30 either at idle or on the road. If my Maxima groaned like this, I wouldn't like it. But it seems to fit the Pathfinder's personality just fine.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 am

This PF has always had a very slight vibration when the engine is idling cold but when it gets to operating temperature the engine smooths out. I've been using a top tier regular gasoline with no alcohol content which might help, both Shell and PetroCanada provide good gasoline locally. Going to a quality synthetic at the first oil change might help as well.

One thing I noticed when I first picked up this truck it was out of alignment from the factory so you might want to watch for feathering on the tires.

As a side note what is the build date of your 08 found on the drivers door pillar sticker.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:43 pm

I've never noticed this vibration, except for a momentary shudder when the A/C compressor kicks on. My engine is smooth at idle in gear, and I would not expect anything otherwise from a new truck.

I'd take it back to the dealer and have it checked out.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:38 pm

i find that mine does that when its running on cheap fuel but is odd myn seems to go away after a couple of light races then its all good

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”