New Purchase 06, need help w service

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

FindThePath06

New Purchase 06, need help w service

Postby FindThePath06 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey guys,
New on the forum so here it goes. I recently bought an 06 w 64k miles on it, the car fax had every scheduled maintenance and recommendations at a certified Nissan dealership. Th car runs great and I'm very please, although it idles a little high when starting and the last service records were at 58k miles, I'm assuming it needs an oil change but is there anything else I should be getting done to save money and do this stuff myself. I plan on keep this car for a long time and want to get the most out of it. Thanks

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

I have an 06 with 115k miles and it is still going strong.

If you havent done the transmission / radiator bypass, consider doing that. There are many topics on this forum that discuss when and how to do it yourself.

FindThePath06

Postby FindThePath06 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I hoping to get.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 pm

If your service records dont indicate a transmission drain and fill, you may want to consider that as well as maybe changing the rear diff fluid. Also about time to change the serpentine belt...all easy things you can do yourself.

FindThePath06

Postby FindThePath06 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Excellent thanks again

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:44 pm

If it isn't making noise, I wouldn't bother with the serpentine belt. Belts made with EDPM can last up to 100,000 miles and sometimes more. That said, there were some noise issues with the belt on the early R51's and a TSB issued for it. The "fix" was a different length belt and a new tensioner. I would use the genuine Nissan parts, but if you go aftermarket, it's usually referred to as an "enhanced performance" kit by companies like Gates, Dayco, etc.

My preferance is to replace the radiator rather than the bypass as you can get a good aftermarket radiator for around $100-$160, but I agree the bypass is better than doing nothing at all. Also, keep an ear out for the timing chain "whine" as the upper chain tensioner "feet" have a problem with wearing out. There is also a TSB for this issues with countermeasure chains and tensioner "feet" and there are YouTube videos that demonstrate the timing chain noise.

Also check the front sway bar mount bushings as they tend to wear and spread, causing the bar to contact the crossmember. Countermeasure bushings are available for this concern. Check your engine mounts for splits or leaking hydraulic fluid and check for bad U-joints, both common problems.

Some good upgrades include replacing the rear shocks with Bilstein HD's and installing Airlift 1000 air bags to improve the ride of the vehicle.

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm

High idle at start-up is normal I have almost 130k on my 07 and been doing that for years. At 105k started doing the timing chain whine but I've been successfully treating it with Seafoam. So far so good. Whine goes away after a few days on Seafoam but can still faintly hear it. Told Nissan dealer I was using Seafoam and they were skeptical so they actually tried it in 1 Pathfinder and 1 Maxima (didn't know some Maximas have this problem) and their whine went away also after a few days. They said it wouldn't last though but it's worked for 25k miles so far knock on wood.

Bruce_Lee

Not really clear on this?

Postby Bruce_Lee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:22 pm

" installing Airlift 1000 air bags to improve the ride of the vehicle."

Air bags? Just want to make sure I am not getting confused. I am assuming you are NOT talking about the 'safety' air bags in the Pathfinder, right? :oops:

BL

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Airlift 1000 air bags go inside the rear coil springs. They are primarily used to improve stability for those that tow, but the R51's seem to bottom out a lot and the air bags and a set of Bilstein HD rear shocks seem to be the route most people use to improve the ride and/or stability, whether they tow or not.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”