Fuel consumption suddenly became very high on 12 Pathfinder

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pahtfinda

Fuel consumption suddenly became very high on 12 Pathfinder

Postby pahtfinda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 pm

I got my 12 Pathfinder in June 12 and just got my first 6k oil change two weeks ago at the dealer. However, fuel consumption suddenly became very high(~16 liter/100km shown on the car's LCD screen) a few days after the oil change. I don't feel any thing that is strange when driving the car. And everything looks normal on the dashboard.

I am sure that it can't be the weather since I only had ~12.3 liter/100km in December which is much colder than now.

I really have no clue on what is the cause of this. Would anyone share some thoughts?

Greetings and salute to all of you

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 am

How is the useage using the manual calc? I just wonder if something was reset for the screen perhaps. I assume you're doing the same driving routes as before? What was your economy before?

pahtfinda

Postby pahtfinda » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:27 pm

skinny2 wrote:How is the useage using the manual calc? I just wonder if something was reset for the screen perhaps. I assume you're doing the same driving routes as before? What was your economy before?
Thank you for your reply!

The car is 2012 Pathfinder 4.0 v6

Yes I am driving on the same routes as before. Fuel economy was around 11L/100KM for summer and 12.4L/100Km for winter.

Today, I drove on the same route extreme gently, which means relatively gentle on the gas pedal and breaks. It appears the fuel economy gets a little bit better as shown ~12L/100KM. However, I don't think the "driving style"explains why the fuel economy is soo bad since I have been driving in the same style(relatively bit more aggressive on the pedals) in the past eight month with the same fuel economy.

I haven't done any manual calculation before. I just filled a full tank. I will try to calculate it when the tank is empty.

Salute

Jegan

Postby Jegan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I have played around a little with the fuel economy estimate and found that if you reset it back to zero, you will get ------- for a few seconds and then your fuel economy will start to calculate. If I do it sitting at a stop light and keep driving stop and go traffic, my estimate starts at around 23L/100km and very, very slowly works its way down to normal estimates (17ish). If I am in cruise control sitting on the highway at 100km/h, the computer starts at around 12L/100km and again slowly works its way down to 10.7L/100km depending on how far I am going.

All that to say is if the dealership reset your computer in any way (pulled the long term storage fuse, battery disconnect) it will mess with your expectations until you have driven for a few days in your normal conditions. That is my personal experience with it anyway. I really wish it was more of a real time calculation than an average based on history.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Funny, I play games with my economy chart on long trips. Keeps me entertained for hours! :)

Keep in mind that the fuel consumption estimate is just an estimate based on some basic factors (speed and throttle position). It does not factor things like engine problems, exahaust problems, fuel type, etc. And, as others have mentioned, when you reset the counter makes a huge difference.

I like to see how high I can "trick" mine. My record is 99.9 MPG. Woohoo!

In other words, just because your average estimate counter is lower doesn't necessarily mean you're using more fuel. The best thing to do is clock the distance between fill ups.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:32 am

I find that my readout is actually quite accurate when compared to a manual calc. Anywhere in the 12.5 - 12.7 range.

I wish the Pathfinder had a larger tank, and also wish the "fuel light" would turn on sooner than it does.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 am

When I first got my 05 in 2007 (it had 95k kms on it), we did a couple longer trips with it. Could get about 350-375km on 40L of fuel, so thats a respectable ~11L/100km. However, that was all highway and going 100kph only, really babying the gas.

As time has gone on, I've become less ginger with the gas pedal. Also, some components have aged, and I am now over 200k kms. Also, I have more aggressive tires.

If I do the same trip, I can get about 300km on 40L, so that is 13.3L/100 km. If I do city driving, though, it goes way up. 16-18L/100 km, I have gotten as low as 200km on 40L of fuel, which is... well pretty much horrible.

Do any of you guys have a superchips or bullydog? Would love to know what kind of voltages you get on your O2 sensors. I have a feeling these are the biggest culprit when it comes to sudden changes in fuel economy.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:24 am

Did they do anything besides just an oil change?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm

My V8 does better than a Prius! :)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”