2008 5.6L v8 spark plug change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

2008 5.6L v8 spark plug change

Postby doctahjones » Fri May 03, 2013 12:27 pm

was really easy to do. i think anyone could do this on the v8 models. probably took me 1.5 hours including tool clean up? i was also working at a very slow pace.

as always this was my experience with my 2008. your vehicle may vary!

i have one of those specialized spark plug sockets that have the rubber ring on the inside, so the sparkplug doesn't just fall out. i'd highly recommend having that socket.

i'd also highly recommend having 2x 3in extenders and 1x 6in extender for your socket driver, i'll explain more on that later.

you'll need a 10mm socket as well for the plastic engine cover (forgot what it's called) and for bolts that hold the coil packs on.

so here we go. the red circles are the only two bolts (10mm) holding the engine cover on. the blue circles are those snap in type connectors. i was a little wary at first, but after undoing the front bolts, just lift that plastic piece like the hood, and it will pop right off.i also took off the intake tube. you probably don't -have- too, but it did give me a little more room to work with.

in my opinion the passenger side plugs are the hardest. not that they're impossible to get out, you just don't have alot of room to wrench, and there's a couple wire bundles that don't like to move very far. the red circles are where the coil packs are. you can see the #2 (counting from the right of the pic, which is the front of the vehicle) coil pack really well. i undo the wire harness first (some are easier than others to get off), then unscrew the silver bolt (10mm). this valve cover IS plastic (i mean really, wtf) so do be a little careful when screwing/unscrewing. you'd hate to strip anything. once you undo the bolt, the coil pack should slide right out. do your socket thing for the plug and swap it out. repeat for the rest of the plugs. some notes though- the wire bundles that i highlighted in yellow do not like to move very far. they were a PITA to try to hold that and get the socket in there and bend over the car, etc. i found it a little easier if you stand on something and then bend over to get in there. just be careful of the hood, i banged my head into the corner pretty good. also this is where the 2x 3in extensions come in. there's a couple plugs that you can't get the angle to use a 6in extension, so you have to break it up and use the 3in ones. you'll see what i mean if you do this. same goes for one of the drivers side plugs. there's just not quite enough room (or i didn't find the right angle) to get the 6in ext into the plug hole. the 3in ones work fine though.

the drivers side is a piece of cake. more room to wrench in and less wire bundles in the way. this side probably took me all of 20 minutes. again the coil packs locations are circled in red and i would recommend unclipping the brake booster hose highlighted in yellow and moving it out of the way- it will give you a bit more wrench room for the rear plug.

and for what you've been waiting for, the plugs i replaced. they were infact the DILFR5A11's

while i didn't notice a -huge- performance increase after the change, it did seem slightly more peppier. could be placebo effect, or the awesome weather we're having right now. i think i will try cleaning the MAF sensor next and doing the relearn.

while in there i also found this under the plastic engine cover, towards the rear of the engine bay. i'm sure it's some sort of coolant hose as i could hear the water sound in the engine bay when i squeezed it a few times. while the hose has this really soft cushiony outside and a harder (but not that hard) inside, i'm not going to take any chances of it blowing, and it looks easy enough to replace (just a couple hose clamps).

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Platics valve cover? Seriously, is that even possible?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:27 am

Yep ,the V6 has that too. I had a leaky spark plug tube, there was oil in it. On my Honda, you could buy a $5 o-ring to reseal, but on the pathy I had to replace the plastic valve cover.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Good call on replacing that hose after you found the wear on it. It looks like replacing the plugs on the V8 is way easier than the V6's, lucky you!

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am

Nice write up.
I changed mine with Pulstar Iridium spark plugs.
what a difference and this was 1 of my first mods, before I did all others.
Pulstar spark plugs is kind of like HIDs are compared to Halogen Lights.
it gives alot of more energy that is built inside of the spark plug itself.
And if i remember correctly the Iridium ones where only 16 $ US. at Autozone. Thats the ones you want, not Platinum
the part # for our V8's is DG1I

Here is a link to their website if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.pulstar.com/why-pulstar/comp ... lstar.html

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 am

.....i'd also highly recommend having 2x 3in extenders and 1x 6in extender for your socket driver, i'll explain more on that later. ...

hey Doc do you have a photo of these...just to compare with what you i got..and are these the bendy type of extensions....??

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 am

just plain old socket extensions, no wobble/bendy ones needed for me.

looks like this:

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 am

forgottenzone wrote:Nice write up.
I changed mine with Pulstar Iridium spark plugs.
what a difference and this was 1 of my first mods, before I did all others.
Pulstar spark plugs is kind of like HIDs are compared to Halogen Lights.
it gives alot of more energy that is built inside of the spark plug itself.
And if i remember correctly the Iridium ones where only 16 $ US. at Autozone. Thats the ones you want, not Platinum
the part # for our V8's is DG1I

Here is a link to their website if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.pulstar.com/why-pulstar/comp ... lstar.html
no offense but a lot of the reviews i have seen that weren't attached to someone selling these plugs shows no real statistical difference. is there a noticeable difference between these and something like NGK iridium IX's

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”