Another silly fuel economy post

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Zen_master wrote: Really wish the R51 had more gears.
Agree. This engine has plenty of power to drop it down in rpm's and not be nearly as annoying as many other vehicles. My wifes Acura MDX has 300hp and 6th gear is utterly useless without downshifts. Several hills my PF will climb in 5th pulling a trailer that the MDX will downshift with just 4-5 pax on board!

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:36 pm

skinny2 wrote:
Zen_master wrote: Really wish the R51 had more gears.
Agree. This engine has plenty of power to drop it down in rpm's and not be nearly as annoying as many other vehicles. My wifes Acura MDX has 300hp and 6th gear is utterly useless without downshifts. Several hills my PF will climb in 5th pulling a trailer that the MDX will downshift with just 4-5 pax on board!
My guess is that Nisan was betting on the CVT for the PF while everyone else was adding a gear here and there. I’m not entirely sold on the CVT for a heavier vehicle like the PF, although Nissan has done years of promoting in their lineup. Personally I like more gears. Feels more solid that way.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Wow, two Ohio posters in a row. I'm in Central Ohio. You guys ever find any ethanol free gas in your areas?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Zen_master wrote:Wow, two Ohio posters in a row. I'm in Central Ohio. You guys ever find any ethanol free gas in your areas?
From discussions I've had with major fuel suppliers (the guys that sell fuel to the stations) you're probably not going to find any unless the pump is specifically marked. There are a few stations that have a special E-free pump and it's usually $0.70-$1.00 more per gallon. You can find it around Marinas sometimes as well.

I have a mechanic friend that specializes in very high end, antique, and collectible cars and he was showing me some jars of gas he's collected. The bigger concern is how many samples he's taken that are FAR more than the 10% that's supposed to be in the fuel. Some were 30% which is quite concerning on an antique vehicle that even 10% can cause problems.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:53 am

skinny2 wrote:
Zen_master wrote:Wow, two Ohio posters in a row. I'm in Central Ohio. You guys ever find any ethanol free gas in your areas?
From discussions I've had with major fuel suppliers (the guys that sell fuel to the stations) you're probably not going to find any unless the pump is specifically marked. There are a few stations that have a special E-free pump and it's usually $0.70-$1.00 more per gallon. You can find it around Marinas sometimes as well.

I have a mechanic friend that specializes in very high end, antique, and collectible cars and he was showing me some jars of gas he's collected. The bigger concern is how many samples he's taken that are FAR more than the 10% that's supposed to be in the fuel. Some were 30% which is quite concerning on an antique vehicle that even 10% can cause problems.
there are a lot of modern cars that cant handles 30%. I really wouldnt be surprised if some places purposefully increase the ethanol content to increase sales. I'm just glad the EPA is finally realizing that ethanol gas hasn't done much for increasing mileage and has only led to farmers switching over to grow more and more corn on "preserved land".

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 pm

http://www.pure-gas.org/
The next state to your West has a number of stations. When I bought a tank in that corn growing state, the only available was 90 octane and was 10¢ more than premium. Was able to get 10-12% better MPG per my ScanGauge2.
Rant - Explain to me how ethanol reduces the number of barrels drilled or imported.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 pm

CPLTECH wrote:
http://www.pure-gas.org/
The next state to your West has a number of stations. When I bought a tank in that corn growing state, the only available was 90 octane and was 10¢ more than premium. Was able to get 10-12% better MPG per my ScanGauge2.
Rant - Explain to me how ethanol reduces the number of barrels drilled or imported.
Thanks this is great

akley88

Postby akley88 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:32 am

CPLTECH wrote: Rant - Explain to me how ethanol reduces the number of barrels drilled or imported.
it doesnt. what has happened is cars have gotten more efficient in recent years. I will be very happy if the EPA calls for the reduction in ethanol in gas due to their recent reports.

not on the rug

gas

Postby not on the rug » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:29 am

on the subject of ethanol, does anyone else think it's ridiculous that they've actually convinced people that ethanol has some sort of positive effect on fuel consumption in this country? what about the gasoline and diesel fuel required to harvest and transport the corn, process it, and ship the ethanol. I recently read an article about how bad of a negative energy output ethanol actually has, but I can't remember where I read it.

same thing drives me nuts about electric cars too? where do these softheads think the electricity comes from when they plug their cars in? most power plants are burning some sort of fossil fuel to produce electricity. giant facepalm...

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:18 am

I def agree on the ethanol and biodiesel. Electric however...regardless as to the source of fuel, a power plant is far more efficient than an i.c engine. Even pulling from a coal plant would have less environmental impact on the grand scale and still be significantly more efficient.

There's potential for something good with it but as long as our politics are more focused on corn farming than an actual energy policy...i'm not sure we'll ever actually get there.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:33 am

I don't like the whole ethanol move either. How much cropland is now dedicated solely to this endeavor? Either Corn or Soybeans. Ridiculous.

t

akley88

Postby akley88 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:16 pm

disallow wrote:I don't like the whole ethanol move either. How much cropland is now dedicated solely to this endeavor? Either Corn or Soybeans. Ridiculous.

t
a lot and land that was to be set aside to not be farmed has been used to grow corn because of the inflated prices farmers are getting for corn. there is a bipartisan bill in either the house or the senate that is in favor of doing away with the ethanol mandate.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 pm

The biggest problem with ethanol derived from corn is that it is net energy negative due in part to the fact it is too corrosive to be transported via pipeline. GasBuddy was hosting the following article about biofuels:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ion-passes

"In Europe, the net savings in carbon emissions from the biofuels mandate vary from 6 percent to negative 12 percent."

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 am

Zen_master wrote:The biggest problem with ethanol derived from corn is that it is net energy negative due in part to the fact it is too corrosive to be transported via pipeline. GasBuddy was hosting the following article about biofuels:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ion-passes

"In Europe, the net savings in carbon emissions from the biofuels mandate vary from 6 percent to negative 12 percent."
i read a similar article on yahoo finance. The biggest road blocks in europe and the us for doing away with ethanol is lobbyist.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 am

NmexMAX wrote:Ahh, 4th of July weekend.

I managed 13.7 on very hilly roads and some offroading. Mostly dirt trails with some fairly cool ruts.

Thought I'd share. These things need bigger tanks, I barely break 300 miles to a tank.
Thought I'd update, but it hasn't changed with the winter fuel, still about the same as this, give or take an MPG.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”