Trans issue. When in full lockup and low RPM

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dell30rb

Trans issue. When in full lockup and low RPM

Postby dell30rb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:17 am

08 Pathfinder 4.0 4x4 72,000 miles

When driving around 40mph, and at low RPM with the transmission in full lockup (around 1200 rpm) the transmission will sometimes shudder when I advance the throttle. If it was a stick, i'd say it feels like the clutch is slipping and grabbing again. If I advance the throttle enough, it downshifts and operation is smooth and normal after that. This ONLY happens at low RPM when in full lockup. At higher RPM's (above 1500) the shudder is nonexistent.

Also the lockup is rather harsh at lower speeds. When pushing the accelerator, I get a bit of a clunk unless I really slowly ease the throttle on. No clunk at higher speeds.

I took it to the dealer last week and they said it was normal. I doubt they felt the shudder though as it only happens at that exact low rpm and full lockup area. I paid them $130 to do the re-programming SB anyway for torque converter lockup. Didn't help one bit.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:14 pm

There was an ECM software update for this condition which occurred on 2008 Pathfinders/Frontiers/Xterras with the VQ40DE and A/T. Have your dealer reference Nissan technical service bulletin #NTB08-045A. It's a long bulletin, but here's the beginning of the TSB:

Classification: AT08-002A

Reference: NTB08-045A

Date: December 7, 2009
2008 PATHFINDER, FRONTIER, & XTERRA;
SHORT BUMP/THUMP FELT DURING LIGHT ACCELERATION

This bulletin has been amended. The Claims Information has been updated. No other changes have been made.
APPLIED VEHICLE(S):
2008 Pathfinder (R51) VQ40DE and A/T only
2008 Frontier (D40) VQ40DE and A/T only
2008 Xterra (N50) A/T only

IF YOU CONFIRM

A short-lasting (less than 1 second) bump/thump is felt:
^ With light throttle application (slight throttle tip-in, less than 2/8)

and
^ while driving on a flat or slightly inclined road

and
^ with the transmission in fifth gear and torque converter at full lockup

and
^ with an engine speed of approximately 1100-1300 RPM

and
^ at speeds of 35-45 MPH.

ACTIONS

Confirm this bulletin applies:
^ Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A.

If that part number does not match one in Table A, this bulletin does not apply. Go back to ASIST for further diagnostic and repair information.

If this bulletin applies, reprogram the ECM.

dell30rb

Postby dell30rb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks for the reply but if you'll note in the original post, I mentioned that this SB was performed by my local dealer. Unfortunately it did not help.

The car exhibits the exact behavior as described in the SB, plus a shudder at low RPM as I mentioned in the OP.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Get used to those quirks because everything you described is considered "normal" for the pathfinder. I've taken mine to the dealer three times for those exact symptoms (among others). I even drove a newer one they had on the lot -- same thing.

The pathfinder is one of the least refined cars I have ever driven (which some people like). That means there are some quirks you have to accept, like a transmission that feels like it's being operated by chimps.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 am

For what it's worth, I have same exact problem as described in the SB. Trans will give a pretty severe "knock" when throttle is applied at low speed and full lock up when it is warm.

I replaced all the u-joints and trans fluid, have not done the update as I see posted above, not going to either if it costs money and does not help any.

I have no problem with it really, I can ease into the throttle, however when I ride and let my wife drive it drives me crazy as she will let it knock all over the place.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 pm

DanJetta wrote:Get used to those quirks because everything you described is considered "normal" for the pathfinder. I've taken mine to the dealer three times for those exact symptoms (among others). I even drove a newer one they had on the lot -- same thing.

The pathfinder is one of the least refined cars I have ever driven (which some people like). That means there are some quirks you have to accept, like a transmission that feels like it's being operated by chimps.
This is completely not rue, the trans alone in the Path is very advanced. Hell, it costs like 6.5k alone to replace. I'd say it's pretty technologically advanced at the least. But, to each their own...

My transmission does not feel like chipmunks are running it whatsoeverrrrr.....

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 pm

DanJetta wrote:Get used to those quirks because everything you described is considered "normal" for the pathfinder. I've taken mine to the dealer three times for those exact symptoms (among others). I even drove a newer one they had on the lot -- same thing.

This is completely not rue, the trans alone in the Path is very advanced. Hell, it costs like 6.5k alone to replace. I'd say it's pretty technologically advanced at the least. But, to each their own...

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love my pathfinder -- but, compared to other SUVs, I'd say the Pathfinder comes in at the tail end of the "refinement and completely-thought-through" department.

For example, my 2002 VW's transmission learned your driving style and adjusted shifting accordingly (from aggressive to smooth)... and it was sooo smooth and responsive. My wife's 2000 Volvo's transmission recognized the weather conditions and adjusted accordingly And my buddy's Jeep transmission comes with a dial that allows him to select terrain conditions. Meanwhile, my Pathfinder (which is newer than all of these cars) still only has one mode, awkward ratios, weird jolting issues and regular misshifts.

The Pathfinder will never win a refinement battle but that's okay; the Pathfinder was never supposed to be a driver-centric dream machine. It was designed to be a simpler off road utility vehicle that you didn't mind getting dirty. Even the bells and whistles in my LE V8 feel as though they were thrown in as an afterthought -- a way to branch out to another level of clientele and quickly compete with some higher-featured competitors.

If I had to guess what "chimps in your transmission shifting for you" feels like, I'd guess it's similar to the way the Pathfinder shifts. :)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:16 pm

One of the selling points for me was that my truck's automatic was the smartest auto I test drove. For a number of reasons from my engineering back ground I'm particular about control system behavior. I intentionally did some things that are difficult for the computer to figure out, like slow acceleration up an incline.

I generally dislike driving automatics and I think this one is really good. But then mine is a 2005 and not subject to the TSB :-D

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:38 am

The path is not near as polished as many other SUV's. My 2001 ford explorer V8 was a much tighter car.

As to the car problem. What your describing to me could easily be worn plugs or wires. I have seen this exact scenario on other cars. Are they original plugs?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 am

Clay350 wrote:The path is not near as polished as many other SUV's. My 2001 ford explorer V8 was a much tighter car.

As to the car problem. What your describing to me could easily be worn plugs or wires. I have seen this exact scenario on other cars. Are they original plugs?
No wires on the VK56. Coil packs on plug/direct ignition.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 am

The PF might not have super smooth shifts...but it's a helluva lot better performer than many others I've driven. My wifes Acura is programmed for maximum mpg and you have to mash it to get any performance out of the 300+ horses. Pull across a 4-lane intersection using normal throttle and it's in 3rd gear before you can get all the way across. I'll deal with a rough shift and not have to mash the go-pedal everywhere I drive.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”